Chapter 7 - Social Butterfly

Jacob sighed, dreading either option. After the stunt he just pulled with Spizzo's drink, he knew that the dare would not be pretty, especially if he needed to skull something gross like the other teen had.

Not really wanting to say either, Jacob told him, "Truth."

"Oh boo you," Spizzo spat, blowing a raspberry.

"What?" Jacob asked, not sure why he was getting this reaction from the Spizzo.

"Truths are boring, you're boring, do something more fun!" Spizzo urged, but Jacob disagreed, shaking his head as he told him that he'd already chosen truth and he wasn't going to change, for this turn at least.

Defeated, Spizzo sighed as he thought of a truth to ask. He shuffled through all the things he wanted to know about the other teen, if anything, before landing on something. "So like, who are your friends, Skidmark?" he asked, opening a bottle of whiskey to take a quick swig. "Do you even like, have any?"

"Just because you neanderthals on the soccer team try to treat me like I'm some sort of outcast and bully me all the time, that doesn't mean I'm a total loner, dipshit," Jacob retorted, Spizzo's snide comment striking a nerve.

Spizzo smirked, happy to see some sort of reaction out of the other teen. "Fine, then you'll have no problem tell me who your friends are then."

Jacob glared at him, replying, "Like I need to prove anything to you." But he knew if he didn't give up at least a couple names, he would look like a total loser with no friends. Knowing he'd have to relent, he decided to tell Spizzo, "I spend most of my time with Grant, Dennis and Anwar. Sometimes I hang out with Hugh and Ivy."

Spizzo was quiet for a moment before remarking, "Oh Skidmark, such a social butterfly."

"Oh screw you, Spizzo," Jacob bit back. "The quality of my friendships is a whole lot more important than how many of them I have. What about you? Are you actually that close with any of your friends?"

The other teen gritted his teeth, unhappy with Skidmark's observation. Because, as much as he wanted to say otherwise, he was right. Spizzo wasn't overly close with any of his friends. Good friends, but he didn't have a best friend, hadn't had one for years. He didn't have someone he could trust, with secrets being shared between his group of friends like herpes. "Oh, so what, those guys are your best friends then, huh?" he retorted, not wanting the other teen to think he was superior.

Jacob was silent for a moment, wanting to choose his words carefully. "They're not my best friends, Spizzo, I don't have a best friend," he said, keeping a close eye on Spizzo's face to see his reaction. "Not after James, at least."

Spizzo just nodded, trying to pretend he didn't fully understand what the other teen was referring to.

Jacob continued, commenting "but you know how that turned out though, don't you, Spizzo," with a snarky, almost vicious tone that was like a punch to Spizzo's gut, making him feel choked up by emotions he thought he'd long buried deep within.

Both kept quiet for a little while after that, childhood memories flickered through both their minds, thinking about their long lost childhood best friends.

A heavy tension formed around them.

Jacob was the first to break the silence, regretting that he'd been so snappy. He cleared his throat, beginning to feel uncomfortable with the awkwardness that had developed as he wondered if he should have just kept his trap shut.

"Truth of dare?" he asked, wanting to move on.