Chapter 20 - Double Dog Dare Story: Freak Show

"So, double dog dare, then?" Spizzo asked once he was able to catch his breath again. His blood was still rushing around like bulls in a stampede, aware that he still wasn't free from the possibility of dropping down into the pool below. Jacob's offer of doing it together didn't give him much comfort since, well, he still had to do it for them to do it together.

He could've pulled out, sure, been adamant that this was a dare they weren't going to do, but he wasn't going to pussy out on this. He wasn't going to give his ex-best friend the satisfaction. He was going to go through with this if it was the last thing he'd do.

Lord, hopefully it wasn't the last thing he'd do...

"Nuh-uh, we have to do this properly," Jacob countered. He wasn't as nervous as Spizzo was, but he couldn't deny that his palms were getting a bit sweaty. Was he buying time? Maybe. "Ask it again."

Spizzo sighed, annoyed that this was being dragged out. If they were going to do this, he needed to get it over and done with. Rip it off like a band-aid. It was the only way his heart would survive. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth," said Jacob, enjoying the look that came over Spizzo's face of both aggravated annoyance and complete relief. The relief, however, was short lived as the teen laughed and corrected his choice, "just joking, dude, it's definitely still a double dog dare."

The other teen looked about ready to leap across the outdoor setting and strangle Jacob to within an inch of his life against the railing before pushing him over the edge and into the pool below. A dramatic interpretation of a pained look, sure, but it was also a potential reality.

"You can't do that to me, man!" Spizzo yelled as he jumped up out of his seat, eyes wide, but Jacob remained unbothered. He approached the other teen and took his hand, slowly walking Spizzo from his spot by the lounges over to the part of the railing where they could see the pool.

"It's alright, James," he said in a calming tone, making eye contact with the other teen. "Listen, you wanted something crazy out of tonight, for us to do something wild, and to go out of our comfort zones. This is it, we can do this. You're not the only one doing this, I'm here to do it as well. I'm shitting my pants too, man, but we can do it. It's just a jump and there's a pool to catch us."

Spizzo's eyes gleamed at Jacob's words, "out of our comfort zones, huh?"

"Yeah," the other teen nodded.

"Well, if this is about going outside our comfort zones..." Spizzo continued on, the idea quickly forming in his head. "... then this isn't the double dog dare I'm choosing for us to do."

"Wha-What does that mean?" Jacob stuttered, feeling blindsided by this one-eighty. He shouldn't have been that surprised, to be fair; they'd both been trying to turn the tables on each other all night. But it didn't surprise him any less this time around. "What are you choosing?"

Spizzo, whose hand had been limp in Jacob's, now gripped the other teen's hand tightly while maintaining fierce eye contact with him. He talked slowly, as if he didn't know what word he was saying next until he was saying it, but with such clarity, as if he was channelling a higher entity.

"Jacob, if this was about... about going outside of comfort zones, then this dare isn't for you; this dare is for me. I'm the one whose scared to do it, you're not as scared as you say you are. You jumped over empty space to grab alcohol from next door for god's sake, twice, this isn't the same for you and me. But there is something, one thing, I can think of that is truly outside of both of our comfort zones. And is the same for both of us. It's... something that we haven't experienced, in one way or another, and if I have to be this person for you, I'll be that person for you, even if I'm the one putting myself in that position."

"What are you talking about?" Jacob asked, demanded, his mind fumbling around to decipher Spizzo's words. "If you're changing the dare, then tell me what your dare is, James."

"I dare you to ... kiss me."

Jacob balked at the dare, eyes bulging as he realised what Spizzo had suggested. "What, no! There is no way you're going to be my first kiss. No fucking way."

"C'mon, Jacob," the other teen insisted.

"C'mon what?" Jacob replied, incredulous. This was not his reality right now. This was not the timeline he wanted to be living in. Spizzo as his first kiss? He had to keep firm on this. "The answer is no, James, no. I'm not doing this."

"It's a double dog dare, Jakes, it will be terrible for both of us," Spizzo tried to reason, tugging at the other teen's hand. It may have been his worst idea yet, but he was sticking to it. He couldn't really see what was so wrong with his suggestion. Was it really the end of the world? It was only a dare. "That's the point of it."

"It's going to be terrible for both of us?!" exclaimed Jacob, his eyesight slowly turning red. "How thick are you, James? Terrible for both of us? How fucking thick?"

"What?" Spizzo blinked. Things were heating up fast, but not in the way he was expecting. Not that he really wanted it to heat up in the other way, but at least then he wouldn't have the possibility of coming face-to-face with a fist. Of all the things that had gone on tonight, was this the time he was getting punched?

"I don't want my first kiss to be terrible," his ex-best friend seethed, his hand gripping Spizzo's tightly with his pent up frustration. "I want my first kiss to be magical, beautiful, breathtaking; my first kiss isn't going to be some consolation dare just so you can get out of jumping off a balcony."

"Hey now," the other teen jumped in, arguing, "I'm a great kisser, thank you very much. You'd be lucky to have me as your first kiss."

"You're completely missing the point!" Jacob yelled. "You always miss the bloody poi-"

But he couldn't say much else as he felt a hand grip the back of his head and pull his face to Spizzo's. Their lips smashed together roughly on impact, slightly chapped on surprisingly soft. Things stayed frozen for a moment before Spizzo began to move his lips, nudging the other teen to do the same. Jacob, in stunned surprise, complied; he wasn't too sure what to do except follow Spizzo's lead. Their lips moved like beginners learning how to waltz, slowly finding the right rhythm, though admittedly, Spizzo seemed to be the seasoned pro guiding a clueless novice.

As they seemed to find their flow and their waltz began to speed up, Jacob's mind seemed to come out from his haze. He began to feel the heat begin to creep through his body, aware of their hands clasped together between them and Spizzo hand on the back of his neck. The heat grew and grew, a soft sizzle sparking as he felt the other teen's tongue enter the picture.

Jacob gripped Spizzo tightly by the waist as their kiss deepened, as if he were holding on for his life down white water rapids. This was going fast. Really fast. Too fast for his mind to keep up with. All he could do was follow the stream and wait see where it would go. It was thrilling, exhilarating, an undeniable experience but ... it was all too much.

Before he knew it, that familiar smell of musk wafted into his nose. Another memory of another time that he'd tried hard to lock away. Another memory of another guy he so desperately wanted to move on from. Another memory which seemed to kill this one.

He nudged Spizzo away, breaking the kiss.

After a moment or two of silence as the two teens caught their breaths, Spizzo asked, "now that wasn't that bad, was it?"

He wasn't sure what answer he was expecting, but he didn't expected Jacob to rush inside the house without saying another word.

Though maybe he should have.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: It's not one of my stories without things getting complicated. Hope you enjoyed the chapter anyway! xx