// the Alpha

19 Years Ago
Hart Territory
Somewhere In The Woods

Henry ran as fast as he could.

His four paws hit the wet soil hard, his muscles already sore from hours of running. Most importantly, the injury on his right hind leg that he had suffered back in the pack house was stinging—he was not healing up like he should be.

He knew his attackers had used a weapon that was laced with water hemlock extracts. The plant might look pretty, but was extremely deadly to anyone, even an Alpha.

He still could not believe it. His own pack had turned against him without warning. Maybe there had been clues, but Henry had trusted his pack members and his subordinates. They were family to him and this betrayal had taken more than just blood from his leg.

It had ripped him off of his hope and dreams for the Hart pack.

Now, as he dashed through the woods, he knew he would eventually be caught and killed. He wasn't a coward—he would have faced his death straight on if not for his mate's silence on the other side of the mind link.

Can you hear me, Mare?

His mate did not respond.

He knew she wasn't dead. If she was, he would have felt it and took his own life then. But his was absolutely sure that the pregnant Luna was still breathing—maybe someone had drugged her into unconsciousness?

Unconsciousness.

What if his mate had just given birth and passed out? It was highly possible, given that the due date was around the corner.

The thought of that lifted his spirit up.

Mare had always had a weak body and it had taken years before she was able to be pregnant. Even then, she was only pregnant with one child, despite Luna's usually bearing twins or even triplets.

He wondered if the baby was a boy or a girl.

Bang!

Shit. An ambush. He had let the thought of his enemies planting an ambush the forest slipped his mind in the midst of chaos when he made the decision to flee.

Another gunshot and this time, it did not miss.

He bit back a howl as the bullet hit his left forefoot.

Bang!

Bang!

The gunshots continued and Henry pressed on.

But soon, one of the many firing bullets hit his abdomen.

As he began to involuntarily slow down, his pursuers caught up.

"Shift," a voice he knew too well commanded.

Henry shifted, his human body bloodied and beaten.

"Joe?" he croaked out, not believing his eyes. He must be hallucinating from the injuries.

"Surprise, brother," the man said with a smirk, "How did you like my execution of this long-awaited revolution?"

// first half of the Hart's history :D this will be an introduction to Part II of Chasing Moon hohoho

Also, I will be updating every Friday from now on, and maybe a few random updates will pop up if I have more time to write (:

VOTE to show your support <3 rlly appreciate you guys for reading :DD (Part II will be bomb I promise)

avocados,
Jia Yue