Crystella wondered what she was actually having for dinner—the food in front of her or the ever-growing tension between the different sides of the table.

The discovery of Elisiah being Dmitri's sister had left Crystella speechless but fortunately, Joseph had beckoned for them to come sit at the dining table.

What was not surprising was that the residents of the Hart's mansion had chosen to sit on a single side of the long table, leaving Crystella and Chase sitting awkwardly on the other.

"I hope you'll enjoy the food here, Crystella, and maybe even find it familiar. After all, you've eaten several lunches from this place years ago," Joseph said, before giving Chase a light nod and smile.

Crystella smiled back politely before staring at the variety of food that was placed out before them.

"This table is rather huge, don't you think," Chase commented after a moment of silence, gesturing at the too-long table with his hands.

"Ah, we usually like to have meals together as a pack, which explains the large hall too. Speaking of that, where is Markus?"

The Alpha's daughter's attention was caught at the mention of the name. Didn't Elisiah say he was one of her 'childhood friends' too?

"He's coming," Marelynn answered, her shoulders losing tension as they drooped down, "He said he had some stuff to take care of before dinner."

"He's not usually a latecomer," Elisiah commented, speaking to no one in particular. Yet, her eyes were still fixed on Crystella.

The table went silent with everybody staring either at each other or the empty plates in front of them. It was a living hell as they waited.

Quick footsteps echoed through the corridors and into the hall.

"Finally," Joseph said.

"Sorry for the wait, Alpha."

Crystella turned her head towards the doors. It was the man who she had seen hugging the Alpha's niece.

"Come sit," Joseph said with a smile. The man returned a smile proceed to take a seat next to Marelynn.

But he paused when he saw Crystella.

"Ah, it always slipped my mind that the last time all of you have met was near a decade ago. Crystella, this is Markus. Markus, this is Alpha Craw's daughter if you remember," Joseph said with a chuckle as the others kept a straight face. No one was sharing his humour.

"I do," Markus replied before Crystella could open her mouth. His black eyes kept a steady gaze on her blue ones, which made Crystella feel uncomfortable.

Yet, there was that strange sense of curiosity that crept up on Crystella, making her want to know more about the young man that was just opposite her.

"I'm Chase," Chase said with a tight smile, his voice filled with annoyance.

"Oh yes. My, my, it always slipped my mind that Kelsey's other son is with us here too," Joseph said, chuckling even louder than before. Chase narrowed his eyes at the mention of Kelsey.

"Other son of Kelsey? Justin's brother?" Markus questioned, no longer smiling.

"Don't remind me," Chase stated, eyeing the food. Crystella could sense the negative aura spilling out of him.

"He's dead and this is how you—"

"Enough!" Joseph roared, slamming the table as every cutlery vibrated against the surface of the table. Everyone jumped as they all looked at the Alpha who had just lost his patience in a matter of seconds.

"Sit, Markus, and you shall respect our guests. Is that clear?" Joseph asked with an authoritative voice, emerald eyes gleaming in fury.

When the young wolf did not reply him, he grabbed the knife and stabbed it through the table.

"Is that clear?" he repeated, growling, as the knife remained stuck onto the table surface.

"Crystal," Markus replied swiftly as he pulled his chair out, and took a seat.

// Joseph's mood swing is me :<

avocados,
Jia Yue