Part 09

Marissa POV

It's been two weeks I tried to avoid her and it was hell. I missed her so dearly that I barely able to restrain myself from her. Not to mentioned I am more and more familiarized with her scent. Now I can tell where she was even before entering the school ground.

It's lunch time now and I avoided going to the cafeteria. I hate to see her with her human companion so loving and it breaks my heart. It just hurts too much. I strolled outside near the bench of our trek field.

"So, just like that, you're gonna give up?" Mik looked at me with concerned eyes. His eyes really reminded me of our mom's. Though Lita's are the same color, she shared my piercing eyes like our dad's.

"I don't know." I answered him halfheartedly.

"Well, you shouldn't! She's your mate and you should claim her." Lita looked at me with fire in her eyes.

I just sighed heavily.

"Hey pretty girl, what are you doing here alone?" Three guys came to my side. One of them who's wearing the school jersey asked the question.

"She's not alone." A guy with short spiky haircut appeared at the end of the bench. "Now leave or I'm gonna make you." His deep baritone voice warned them.

"Geez chill dude. Didn't know she's your girlfriend, Brett." The jersey guy hold up his hands.

"Don't make me see your face again, Rod." They just sneered and walked away.

"You okay, Marissa?" Brett came to sit next to me.

"Yeah, I'm good. Though that wasn't necessary, Brett. I can take care of myself." I looked ahead not paying much attention to him.

I knew Brett few days ago when I started visiting the bench during lunch. He was training on the trek and saw me sitting alone and came to talk to me. That's how we knew each other. He was actually a family of the Southern Royal though not the direct heir. Some cousin or something.

"Yeah well, better to avoid confrontation." He smiled and handed me something. It was lunchbox full of meatloaf inside. "Here, you better eat something. That pretty face of yours will lose color if you starved yourself."

He gave me his charming smile. He wasn't really that bad looking to be honest. He was tall and sturdy with wide chest. He have a charming smile with a cute dimple on his left cheek. He have a captivating grey eyes and perfect sculpted nose. A cleft chin complimented his Greek god looks.

But he isn't Logan.

Right now, Logan was having lunch with her human companion. I hate to admit it but I wished sitting next to me now is Logan and not Brett.

"You're not having lunch again, sis?" Mik contacted me via our pack link.

"I am. Brett gave me a box full of meatloaf. Don't worry."

"Geez, you gotta let me meet him. I'm Mateless here." Lita chimed in with her usual playfulness.

"Yeah, maybe if you would accompany me here in the bench." I replied her sarcastically.

"Okay, will do." Lita chuckled.

"You know, that scowl of yours are gonna stayed on you if you're not careful. It'll create wrinkles and I'm sure you girls hated those." Brett gave me a playful chuckles. That earned a smile from me.

Meh. Typical pick up line.

Kimbee, that's rude.

Why are we here anyway? We should be at the cafeteria with our mate. Kimbee huffed.

You know why, Kimbee. I sighed heavily. She's in love with a human. She barely recognized us.

"You okay? I'm sorry if my joke offended you." Brett looked at me with concerned.

So what she doesn't recognizes us? Make her! She is our mate! She will eventually will! Kimbee was in rage now.

"I'm fine, Brett. Just... something in my mind."

"Anything I can help with?" He looks at me enquiringly.

"It's nothing really. You should eat." I gave him a small smile.

Let's not think about it now, okay Kimbee?

Kimbee just huffed at my reply.

"You should too." He smiled while ushering me a piece of the meatloaf. I took it and smiled at him.

"Thank you."

We just enjoyed our lunch silently with me looking up ahead at the cloud and Brett sitting silently next to me. My family said I shared both of my parents' trait. My dad loved to sit silently on the bench during lunch and my mom would sit next to him finishing all the fruits. I smiled remembering them. They were still in love even until now. How I envied their love. If only Logan and I can be like that.

"You know, since today is Friday... do you have any plans?" Brett broke the silence looking at me.

"Nope... same old, same old.."

"How could you say that? A pretty girl like yours have no plans on Friday? What a waste." He gave me a playful shock looked which earned a small chuckle from me.

"Yeah, no Brett. I don't." I smiled at him.

"How about.. let's go movie tonight? Yeah? What do you say?"

"I don't know Brett. Plus, I already told you I'm somebody else's mate. It doesn't seem proper."

"Hey chill. It's not a date. We're just going out as friends, nothing more." He raised both his hands up. "Your mate is weird anyway. Letting his mate alone like this."

I sighed deeply at that.

"He got his reasons." I sighed again. Inhaling, I replied him, "Fine let's go out tonight, but no movie. Only he can bring me to movies." I smile at him.

"I wish my mate was dedicated like you." He frowned.

"Don't you have one?"

"No I don't. That's the thing. Being a wolf without your mate was like a pain that you can't let go." He sighed. "As long the pain mets the goal, it doesn't matter, I guess."

I wondered his answer. Pain answered your goal? That's something I have to contemplate myself. Am I willing to accept the pain as long I will get her eventually?

I don't know.