IX • Little Dragons

"But apples are red, not green." Talia's oldest, Patrick, pouted.

His mother sighed, not sure how to explain to a six year old that he needed to appreciate what food he was given.

"Green things are way better than red things," Daphne said, and reached over to his plate. "Like lizards. You ever seen one?"

Patrick shook his head, pout slightly receding. "Only in school."

"My roommate in college had chameleons." She started to organize his apple slices in the shape of a reptile, doing her best to make a curly tail. "They had super long tongues and could grab crickets from across their cage. They were the coolest brightest green, and looked like little dragons."

"Can't they change colours?" he asked petulantly, and Talia stifled a giggle.

"They sure can, little biologist," Daphne replied. "But you know the only colour they can't turn?" She smiled and he shook his head. "Red."

His eyes widened and he looked down at his plate. "That doesn't really look like a chameleon," he protested, but took a bite of one of the slices.

She laughed. "I'm not a very good artist."

He shrugged, digging into his apple with vigor once he realized it tasted delicious.

"Thank you." Talia smiled.

Daphne shook her head. "When all they have is red apples, you might be screwed again," she said.

"Give me my baby!" Molly cried as she strode over, looking ragged from her travels.

"Ugh, mom, you smell disgusting." Talia wrinkled her nose but handed Lily to her grandmother anyway.

"I must have forgot to bathe in the five star resort we were vacationing at," Molly cooed, kissing Lily's forehead with love in her eyes.

Paula dropped a backpack on the seat next to Daphne with a smile. "Found this for you," she said. "Make me something pretty."

The blonde curiously peeked in the bag, and her eyes lit up at the folded fabric inside. "Thank you." She blinked up at her new friend.

Paula waved it off and headed to the serving area where the rest of her crew ravenously loaded up their plates.

***

"Slow repair day, sod off," Nicola barked as Daphne slipped behind the table with her prize.

"Works for me, I have some personal projects to work on," she replied, holding up the backpack.

The redhead raised an eyebrow. "With my fucking thread and machines?"

"If you'd pay me what I'm worth, I'd have points to buy materials," Daphne pointed out, and received a grunt in return. She knew that was the most approval she was going to get, and spread out her prize on the back worktable.

***

By the time lunch break rolled around, Daphne was putting the finishing touches on a tiny pink pinafore for Lily, having already completed a red satin lingerie set for Paula.

Nicola had seemed to ignore her for most of the morning, though the blonde had caught her side glancing her a few times. The older woman finally came and inspected Daphne's garments, pursing her lips.

"Needs a ribbon," she said gruffly, and knelt down. She pulled out a small wooden box and rummaged inside, pulling out a long strip of thick white silk.

Daphne accepted it with a smirk.

Nicola scowled. "You bloody owe me when you start earning your keep."

"Of course," Daphne said, voice sugary sweet.

The redhead turned and left for lunch, leaving a satisfied seamstress in her wake.