LVIII • Good Shot

Negan's blood ran cold as the boom of the steel door closing felt like the nail in a coffin. He wasn't sure that he'd ever see his Lieutenants again, and the clench of his chest was something he hadn't felt in a very long time. Pre-apocalypse, to be sure.

After the end of the world, he'd had nothing left to lose. Hell, after Lucille he'd had nothing left to lose—the apocalypse was just icing on the cake. He'd swaggered his way through the wasteland, King Shit of Turd Mountain because he didn't care whether he lived or died.

But now he'd built something. He'd built something and people depended on him to keep them safe. He had a team, sure, and he knew that they would be able to keep shit together in his absence, but he didn't want to leave them to do that. He wanted to be there with them.

For the first time since the New World Order, Negan was afraid to die.

But, at heart, he was a stubborn fucking creature. And there was no way he was going to go down without destroying Spencer's skull. The fuck had laid his slimy hands on far too many of Negan's ladies, and he wasn't going to stand for it.

The asshole in question opened the back door of a nearby jeep, and Negan's eyes rolled so hard they nearly fell out of his head.

Sitting there, bound and waiting for a traveling buddy, was Rick the fucking Prick.

Daphne immediately wriggled closer to Arat, trying not to headbutt her in the total darkness

Daphne immediately wriggled closer to Arat, trying not to headbutt her in the total darkness. She grunted and gave muffled encouragement for her coworkers to make noise so they could find each other.

Her shoulder finally bumped flesh and she rolled, bound hands groping behind her for Arat's gag. She pulled it down and the golden-skinned warrior sighed in relief.

"Fuck, thank you," she blurted. "Let's flip over and I'll do yours." Daphne obliged gratefully, heart pounding as Arat groped along her cheek to find her gag in the dark. The engine of the truck whirred to life.

"Shit," Daphne said as the fabric fell free of her mouth. "I don't know how long we have before that fuck kills Negan."

"What fuck?" Arat asked, grunting as she tried to maneuver around Simon. "Some random Alexandrian assholes tossed us in here a few minutes before you showed up."

"Spencer, that dickless frat boy that tried to campaign us the day we cased Alexandria," Daphne replied. "Have you guys been there the whole time too?"

"Yeah, since the ambush near the Hilltop," Simon replied as Arat finally freed his mouth. "Stay put and I'll roll over and work on your hands," he instructed, and wriggled his way over so that they were back to back. "Glad the boss man's alive."

"Yeah, now sure for how long, though," Daphne braced herself as the truck started to move, jostling them about a bit. "That fuck is walking around in Negan's jacket, saying he's going to kill him in front of the whole Sanctuary and take over."