LXVI • War

When Daphne descended back down into Negan's room, Spencer's zombified corpse was gurgling and bonking his mangled head repeatedly off of the corpses on the floor.

"Jesus fuckin' Christ, you're even dumb as shit when you're dead." she shook her head and kicked him over onto his side. "You don't have a jaw to eat 'em, moron." She opened the bedroom door and let him through, giggling as he stumbled and tumbled down the first flight of stairs.

A scream pierced the air and she noiselessly descended the stairs in her bare feet, easing the first door open a crack with Lucille. After a grunt and a cruel laugh followed by frantic muffled squeals, she realized what was going on and kicked the door open, point blank aiming the crossbow at the hairy naked ass in front of her.

As he froze, not quite realizing what had just happened to him, a grin broke out on Daphne's face.

"Would you look at that," she marveled, "I finally hit my target. Right up the fuckin' ass."

"Daphne?!" Tanya cried from underneath the man, who coughed a mouthful of blood onto the bed beneath them. The dark haired woman shoved him, eyes widening exponentially at the back tip of the crossbow bolt sticking out of her assailant's asshole.

The blonde opened her arms and offered the woman a smile that didn't reach her eyes. Tanya threw herself into them, clutching at her with desperation.

"I can't believe you're here...we thought you were dead..." she murmured into the blonde's neck, so relieved to see an armed Savior she thought she might just die in a puddle of tears right there.

"Nope, got myself a ticket to the penthouse and took out that shithead Spencer once and for all," Daphne hugged her back, though a bit lopsided from the weapons in her hand. "We're gonna take the Sanctuary back. I'm pretty sure the entire Kingdom is here."

"They must have made it!" Tanya pulled back, wiping furiously at her eyes. "Frankie managed to warn enough people that they evacuated, they were supposed to go to the Kingdom for safety and to get help."

"Glad to hear they evacuated." Daphne nodded. "At least some people managed to get away from this shit." She extended the crossbow to the shorter woman, who looked at it like it was alien technology. "I'm going to need you to take this."

"Are you joking?" Tanya put her hands up. "I can't use that thing."

"You'll be better at it than I am, trust me," Daphne assured her. "I'll stay in front, and take them out short range, but if any get past me, or if there are too many, then you shoot the fuckers, okay?"

The dark haired woman shakily took the weapon, the deadly thing looking almost comical in her lean arms. "I just pull the trigger like a gun?"

"Simple, yeah?" Daphne nodded encouragingly.

Tanya took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and nodded back. "Okay," she said firmly.

Negan put a bullet in the back of a guy's head, using the body as a shield to peek around down a hallway

Negan put a bullet in the back of a guy's head, using the body as a shield to peek around down a hallway. He needed to get upstairs, but the sheer pandemonium everywhere kept him from his goal. He threw the body down and turned at the sound of a crunch, Regina snapping another guy's neck with her strong hands.

"I see all that cell time didn't do much to quench your fuckin' skills," he drawled, and she trilled a laugh.

"Cell was just big enough for push ups," she said.

"My first one was, but then I had to share space with the fuckin' downer over here." Negan rolled his eyes and Rick grunted.

"Just get us outside, will you?" he hissed, and the doors to the marketplace burst open, revealing a flood of armored guys with big guns.

Negan grinned maniacally. "Boom, motherfuckers."

Regardless of her non-skills with the crossbow, Daphne's aim with Lucille was true, and she was very much enjoying popping heads all the way down to the main floor

Tanya simply watched from a little distance behind, the tall blonde angel of death in the little black dress raining blood down on their enemies. It was an almost beautiful dance.

They hit the main floor and the marketplace doors were hanging open, a sheer riot inside. The blonde put her hand out and stopped Tanya a few steps up.

"We need to get down to the cell block," she said quietly. "Once I get past those doors, I'll keep watch and then wave you across. Don't move until I do, okay?"

The dark haired woman nodded nervously, gripping the crossbow tighter as if it would run away from her.

Daphne crept forward with catlike grace, but halfway across the doorway she froze. The marketplace had been trashed into a massive expanse of rubble.

And there, on the other side, crashing through the doors, was Negan.

He struck one of the soldiers in the back of the head with the butt of his gun, and vaulted over another to shoot the next in the face.

Regina shrieked an unintelligible battle cry behind him, tossing her guns to Daryl in favour of tearing her enemies apart with her bare hands.

When he landed on his feet, a spray of blood from Rick blowing a head clean apart next to him, Negan stopped at the sight that befell him on the other side of the marketplace.

Framed perfectly by the busted double doors stood Daphne, wearing nothing but a little black dress and a fair amount of blood, holding a dripping Lucille.

When cerulean eyes met amber, it was as if time slowed to a stop.

The wet crunches of Regina's fists, the blasts and pops of guns as enemies shot each other, the cries of knights from outside bustling in, with the unearthly roar of a tiger echoing in the background.

None of that registered, none of that mattered, none of it even existed in that moment.

When cerulean eyes met amber, Daphne felt as drunk on him as she had the first time. The first time she'd laid her gaze on this magnificent man, she'd been a nobody and he'd been a King on a pedestal. Now they were equals, barely clothed animals on the battlefield covered in blood, fighting for their home, their lives.

Crunch. Blast. Poppop. Snap. Squelch.

Time. Distance.

Blood.

Battle.

Daphne held Lucille out, a glop of flesh slapping down onto the cement floor, and Negan's lips curled into a knowing smile. His girls. Cerulean eyes versus amber, with crimson slicked silver barbs in between.