XLIX • Knights and Saviors

The moment froze in time, the eyes of the escaped convict locked on the lieutenant, fury equally burning between them.

Daryl was the first to move, diving towards the door, but Jesus stepped in the way, slowing his progress.

"Your Majesty." Daphne gripped Ezekiel's bicep in her hand firmly and led him to the right, against the wall away from the window. She was sure that he allowed this more out of shock than her strength, and Richard cocked his gun.

"What is the meaning of this, my lady?" Ezekiel asked, brows furrowed as he put up a hand to still his comrade.

"Jesus' refugee is a fugitive, my lord," the blonde said, reaching under her skirt to draw a handgun, keeping her eyes firmly on the door of the cottage. "He was with the group that killed our Saviors, and we still had him in custody when I left to come here."

The cottage door slammed open, and Daryl burst out, narrowed eyes darting across the Knights pointing their guns at him. Jesus leapt down behind him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Peace, friends." He held out his hands, his wide warm eyes falling on Daphne.

She could see how this guy got his name—with the long honey brown hair and beard, he looked like the traditional version of the religious figure.

"This bitch is in Negan's inner circle," Daryl spat, pointing a finger at her.

Jesus put a hand on his chest to hold him still, noting that the Knights hadn't lowered their guns.

"This lady is here at my invitation," Ezekiel spoke up, standing tall.

Daphne let go of him when she realized both of her opponents were unarmed.

The King raised his chin. "Sir Jesus, explain yourself for bringing this fugitive to my lands."

"He is fleeing the oppression of the Saviors, Your Majesty," Jesus said.

Daphne's jaw clenched. "If by oppression you mean rightful imprisonment for war crimes, then yes, he is fleeing the Saviors," she said, voice like ice.

"Redneck jailbird and a ninja possibly heading your way, princess," Letty's voice crackled over the radio, clearly having just come into range.

"Thanks for the heads up," Daphne muttered to herself.

"You ain't got no more leverage," Daryl snarled. "Just leave Alexandria be."

"Alexandria?" Ezekiel asked, and glanced at Richard. "Is that not where Morgan and Carol hail from?"

"You've met Carol?" Daphne asked firmly, as Daryl simultaneously demanded, "Where's Carol?!"

The redneck took another menacing step forward, and Daphne stepped directly in front of the King, gun leveled at her ex-prisoner's face.

"King Ezekiel is a friend and ally of the Saviors," she declared. "Any act against him just stacks more crimes upon you with us."

Jesus finally started to look a little worried, and set his pleading eyes on the King. "Your Majesty, please hear us out, this woman has a biased view—"

"Biased view?" Daphne laughed humourlessly. "Really? Sure, okay. Jesus, kindly tell the King the story of how Daryl came to be here today, seeking refuge. The unbiased version."

Jesus held up his hands, palms out. "Your Majesty, if we could please speak in private—"

"I think not, Sir Jesus, for I am weary of these politics." Ezekiel waved his hand, shaking his head. "From what I understand, all of the guests I have kindly allowed into my Kingdom have deceived me in some way. I do not wish for these games to put my people in danger." He motioned to Richard. "Fetch Mister Morgan, tell him to bring his belongings."