LVI • Provoke Me

It was as if someone hit a mute button on the world.

As Negan hit the concrete floor, Daphne went blind with rage and couldn't even hear her own screaming. She clawed at the bars, getting halfway up them and throwing her weight around, to no avail.

The bars were cold solid proof that she couldn't get to him, couldn't help him, and oh god they were hurting him—

There was a slick crunch of cartilage and the world came back into focus at the sound of Negan's hoarse laugh.

Daphne slid down the bars, her chest empty and cold, lungs empty as he rolled onto his back, grinning through the blood pouring down his beautiful face.

"You think this is funny?" Michonne hissed, grabbing a fistful of his shirt.

"Fuckin' hilarious," he slurred, spitting a stream of crimson across the floor.

"She doesn't think it's hilarious." Rambo Barbie sneered, and kicked him in the ribs.

He grunted another laugh, near wheezing with the strain. "Lighten up strawberry," he rasped, but he wouldn't meet her gaze. "You ain't that fuckin' attached to this face anyway."

Daphne read between the lines, and peeled her white knuckled hands off of the steel bars. She needed to chill. She needed to be indifferent. She needed to be strong.

Her heart started beating again and it was deafening in her ears, all-consuming as she sank to her knees. She rested her hands on her thighs, trying to regulate her breathing. She wanted to close her eyes but she knew it would look weak.

And he deserved better than that. He was taking this beating to protect the Sanctuary. Her pain at having to watch it paled in comparison to what he was going through. He was counting on her to not give up the Sanctuary no matter what they did to him.

Warmth swelled up in her throat and tingled the back of her neck, as the realization of just how much she respected this man washed over her.

The bitch in the short shorts lunged at the bars and slammed her steel toed boot against them in rage.

"Where the fuck is the Sanctuary?!" she screamed.

Daphne curled her lips up into a maniacal grin. There was no humour there, no happiness, no amusement, only murderous insanity.

Rambo Barbie recoiled from the Cheshire Cat, and then kicked the bars again, turning back to Negan.

"Oh yeah." He coughed out a laugh, showing red-stained teeth as he smiled. "I love a good fuckin' threesome!"

Michonne grunted in frustration and slammed her fist into his jaw. She put an arm out to stop her comrade from loosing another flurry of violence.

"He needs to be alive, Rosita," she muttered, and the shorter woman spat on her enemy.

"Then we wait til he fucking heals," Rosita snarled, and then turned to glare at the blonde in the cage. "Then we kick the shit out of him again. Maybe in front of one of the other Lieutenants we've got locked up."

"You're not going to get what you're looking for, toots." Daphne continued to grin her creepy grin, and Rosita shrieked something in another language, possibly Spanish.

Michonne jerked her towards the stairs by the arm, and they stomped out of the basement, leaving the blonde to fall to pieces.

She threw herself into the bars, breath catching in her throat as she willed him to move.

"Not fuckin' dead yet, strawberry," Negan grunted, blinking lazily. His one eye was almost swollen shut, blood oozing from his nose in crimson rivers, but his smirk remained.