LIV • Click and a Shing

The eeriest thing about the apocalypse was that in the stillness of the forest—there were no sounds of life. No chirping or scratching or tittering. Just silence. Maybe the filtering of the breeze through the leaves, except tonight there was no breeze.

Daryl was starting to think that the Saviors weren't going to waltz into Hilltop after all. And if that were the case, then he was fucked for a ride. It was possible that Negan had gone to Alexandria first, but that didn't make sense if he wanted his lieutenant back.

And it was clear that he did.

So what was he planning? Were the Saviors staking out Hilltop?

Daphne squirmed against him, trying to adjust her aching arms. She whimpered a bit into her gag, writhing in just a way so that her hip brushed 'innocently' against his crotch. He grasped the back of his shirt that served as her modesty sack and held her away from his body.

She couldn't deny that it was amusing trying to fuck with the redneck. He was clearly uncomfortable by her, but so non-confrontational about it. She enjoyed his awkwardness, and it was also a tactical advantage.

She was starting to feel more hopeful about this Hilltop situation, since there didn't seem to be any sign of the Saviors.

There was a quiet thud and Daryl whipped around with his gun, jerking Daphne against him as he did so. She took in a deep breath, crushing her tits against his bare chest which she couldn't deny was decent to look at.

"What happened?" Jesus stepped out of the shadows, brow furrowed at the half naked redneck holding the squirming girl.

"She was attacked," Daryl replied simply, apparently not feeling the need to defend against what would be a very offensive insinuation.

"That explains the body I found," Jesus said dryly. He crossed his arms. "Hilltop's evacuated, but still no sign of the Saviors."

"I don't think they're comin'." Daryl shook his head.

As if on cue, the radio in Jesus' pocket crackled.

"Warriorrrrrs..." Negan's voice singsonged. "Come out to plaaaayyy!"

Daphne's heart leapt. He did know. He wasn't walking into a trap. She should never have doubted him.

"Come on, cunts, I know you're fuckin' listening." He sounded playful, but there was that magical edge that electrified the blonde to her core. "Maybe you'll listen to limp-dick Gregory."

Jesus practically tore the radio out of his pocket, staring at it open mouthed.

"Jesus," the leader of the Hilltop said, voice shaking. "Just give him your hostage. Your plan didn't work. Give up."

"Yeah, I intercepted your little fuckin' evacuation," Negan drawled, and Daphne could hear the smirk in his tone. "My previous offer still fuckin' stands. The faster you give me my fucking Lieutenant, the less people are going to die."

"Don't kill anyone," Jesus pleaded into the receiver. "Where are you?"

"Yeah, I'm not going to fuckin' tell you that." Negan laughed. "You head due East from Hilltop, chop fuckity chop."

Jesus looked at Daryl helplessly.

"I'll bring her back," he said, running his hands through his hair. "You go on back to Alexandria."

"Ain't no point in that," the redneck snapped. "They'd just be bustin' more heads to take me again."

"We're going to need to fight them eventually," Jesus insisted, and Daphne narrowed her eyes at him. What was it with this guy?

"Not today," Daryl said firmly, and removed the gag from her mouth. "Will you stop pursuing Carol if I come back with you?"

"I won't hold you responsible for his actions." She inclined her head in Jesus' direction. "And you have more negotiating power being compliant, bulldog." Her lip curled up into a half smile and he turned away from her.

"We don't have the advantage right now," Jesus said thickly.

"And you won't." Daphne couldn't help but smirk at him. "Ever."

His eyes blazed and he knelt down to cut her ankles free. "You can walk," he huffed, and she turned to offer him her still bound wrists. "I don't think so." He shook his head and she scowled.

"Dig your grave fucking deeper, then," she said in a low voice. "Maybe you should give Daryl your shirt." She jutted out her chin. If Negan got the impression that one of them got frisky with her, he'd murder first and ask questions later. And Jesus was high on her list today.

"I'll take my chances," Daryl said, and grasped her bicep, pushing her ahead of him.

They moved east without talking, and with every step they took towards Negan, Daphne's shoulders grew lighter. She felt guilty that she'd caused so much trouble, but she knew deep down that he wouldn't blame her. She just wanted to go home.

At the sound of a familiar whistle overhead, Daphne smiled up into the trees. It was too dark to see, but she knew Arat was up there somewhere. And the response whistles from various mouths in the distance told her that a pack of her friends were waiting.

She almost broke out into a run, but Daryl and Jesus each grasped one side of her in anticipation. With her legs free, she could have probably put up a decent enough fight but there was no point. She was back in the belly of her own beast, and it felt good.

Even in the literal hands of the enemy, she felt safe.

Lights blared on as they crested a tree line, and tears threatened Daphne's eyes at the silhouette of a leather clad man with a barbed wire bat.

"Hello, ladies," Negan drawled, and lifted Lucille to rest comfortably on his shoulder.

One of the lights went out with a shink and the Saviors turned towards it, confused. There was a surreal crack of a gun and Daphne watched in horror as Negan doubled over.

A scream tore its way from her throat as Daryl slammed into her from behind, and all hell broke loose.