Fourteen-Coping With A Life Ahead

(All information used below is from Mayo Clinic)

"I regret to inform you that I have found what is wrong with Callisto..." the doctor started.

Mira looked up hopefully and held onto Callisto's hand tighter.

"He seems to have..."

-

"He seems to have Multiple Sclerosis or what some call for short, MS," the doctor said, a slight frown forming. 

"W-What is that?" Callisto and Mira asked at the same time in a worried voice.

" Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a potentially disabling disease of the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system). In MS, the immune system attacks the protective sheath (myelin) that covers nerve fibers and causes communication problems between your brain and the rest of your body. Eventually, the disease can cause the nerves themselves to deteriorate or become permanently damaged. Signs and symptoms of MS vary widely and depend on the amount of nerve damage and which nerves are affected. Some people with severe MS may lose the ability to walk independently or at all, while others may experience long periods of remission without any new symptoms. There's no cure for multiple sclerosis. However, treatments can help speed recovery from attacks, modify the course of the disease and manage symptoms."

"Multiple sclerosis signs and symptoms may differ greatly from person to person and over the course of the disease depending on the location of affected nerve fibers. They may include: Numbness or weakness in one or more limbs that typically occurs on one side of your body at a time, or the legs and trunk, Partial or complete loss of vision, usually in one eye at a time, often with pain during eye movement, Prolonged double vision, Tingling or pain in parts of your body, Electric-shock sensations that occur with certain neck movements, especially bending the neck forward (Lhermitte sign), Tremor, lack of coordination or unsteady gait, Slurred speech, Fatigue, Dizziness, and possibly Problems with bowel and bladder function although he will probably won't have much bladder problems in my opinion. Callisto, we can help you. I can help you but Mira, I need your consent. Callisto is going to have a hard time coping. Multiple appointments and check-ups will be needed. He is also going to need someone to watch him. We will talk later Mira." the doctor said, finishing his long "rant".

Callisto took a deep breath and covered his face with his hands. The small action brought awareness to his sore wrists and hands from vigorously signing papers for days in a row. That reminded him, he needed to sign some treaties. He started to sit up but the doctor pushed him back in bed. 

"Alpha, you need rest. This recent flare-up needs to be treated." doctor Flips said in a soft tone.

"But my p-papers and t-treaties," he whined.

"I will get your Beta to sign them, for now...rest," he said before leaving his Alpha and Luna alone.

"Luna Mira?" the doctor asked through mind linking.

"Yes Mr. Flips?" she responded.

"I am going to come back with some antibiotics for Callisto. He needs to be hospitalized but I could set everything up for him in his room. Would that be fine with you?"

"Yes doctor..." she replied sadly.

A whimper brought Mira out of the mind link that she shared with the doctor. She looked towards Callisto. A frown made its way to her face. He was still sweating and panting. His flare up must be painful.