14

The week goes on as normal. No mentioning 'the incident' and no awkwardness. The squip group is actually talking to me and Rich is actually pretty cool. Friday rolls around. This should be interesting.

"Jeremyyyyyyyyy," I whine. "I need gaaaaas. Come with meee."

"Michael you can do it yourself. You are capable of that right?" he says in a joking manner.

"Yeah but it's better when you're theeeeeere. It gets quiet by myseeeeeeelf," I continue to whine. If Jeremy won't come with me than I won't go and I'll just stay here to annoy him.

"No Michael. I have homework."

"But it'll only take like two minutes. Three if I want a slushy while we're out. Plus I still have to run by my house to get the weed and I need a look out to make sure my parents don't come back."

At the mention of my parents Jeremy perks up. "I'm coming with you."

"Geez, that got your attention. What's with the sudden change in decision?"

"I said I wouldn't let you get hurt didn't I? I'm keeping that pact," he answers sternly.

I grab his hand and lead him out of the house and into my car. I drive to the gas station.

It's quiet.

...

...

"You know you don't have to bring the weed if you don't want to. They really won't care," Jeremy says suddenly.

"Yeah but I said I would. I'm a man of my word."

"I don't want you going anywhere near your parents. I'll go in instead."

"Jere, they should be gone. I'll be fine."

"I'm not going to take that chance and let them hurt you. I care for you too much."

"Aw, I'm touched. But seriously. I can do this myself. I'm not eggshells Jeremy."

"Okay but don't be in for longer than five minutes. I'll get worried."

The car is once again engulfed in silence. We stop at the gas station and fill my tank, silent the entire time. I get back in the car, slushy in cup holder and drive to the house.

"Are you sure I can't just go in? I don't want to risk it," Jeremy says as soon as the car is parked.

"Positive. I can deal with this myself okay?"

"Okay. Five minutes tops," he says sternly.

I put my hand to the side of my forehead in a salute fashion. "Yessir!" I say while pulling my hand away and putting it down sharply against my side.

We laugh for a few moments before I jog up the path. I turn around and give Jeremy a cheesy smile and thumbs up before walking inside. I run directly to my basement and take the bag from under my bean bag. Inside is some weed, rolling paper, and a couple lighters I stole from my parents.

As quickly as I was in, I'm out. Jeremy visibly relaxed when I get back in the driver side.

"Dude, I was in there for like two minutes. What were you worried about?"

"Just drive you big dork," he mumbles, smiling. It's forced, I notice. In a rash decision, I peck his cheek before turning and starting the car. I drive away with a blush tinting my face.