19

As soon as we get back to Jeremy's house and in the privacy of his bedroom, I bring up the Christine subject. "Hey Jere?" The uncertainty slips into my voice without me realizing.

"Yeah Mike? What's wrong?"

"Um, I know- no that sounds stupid, uh, what about Christine?"

"What about her?" He turns to face me.

"Are you kidding me? You're still dating her! You're still dating her, yet you kissed me and said that you love me! You can't just do that if you're already in a relationship with someone! If you still want to be with Christine, go ahead, I'm not stopping you, but if you want to be with me you'll have to break up with her. It's your choice and I will respect whichever one you make." Since when can I put up an argument?

"I'll deal with Christine later. Right now, I just want to spend time with you." He begins walking towards me and wraps his arms around my waist. He begins to lean in but I push him away.

"Until you deal with Christine, you can't do this kinda stuff with me. For now, we're just friends." Damn, that sounded kind of cold.

"I thought you wanted this Michael." He seems angry but sad at the same time.

"I do but you can't keep hurting Christine like this!"

"She can't be hurt if she doesn't know." What happened to him? The Jeremy I know and love would never do this to Christine.

"If you try anything else then I'll make sure she knows. Then you won't have either of us."

"Michae-"

"I'm going for a walk. Do you need anything while I'm out?" I grab my wallet and shove it in my pocket.

"Michael ple-"

"Do you need anything while I'm out?" I say louder and firmer.

"N-no, I guess not."

"I'll be back at some point."

"Stay safe," he says quietly. He sounds so small, almost mouselike. For a second, I feel guilty about yelling at him. Then I remember that he was going to let Christine think nothing was going on. And just like that, the guilt was gone.

"Maybe." And with that, I leave.

Jeremy's POV

"Stay safe," I say quietly, regret heavily laced in my voice.

"Maybe," he answers. Then he leaves.

'Maybe' That worries me. What does he mean maybe? My heart drops. Is he going to hurt himself?

What if he does hurt himself? What if I'm just the tiny gust of wind that throws him over the edge?

What did I just do?

I have to follow him to make sure he's okay. I don't want him hurt. I know he's hurting but maybe I can help stop the hurting just a little bit. Maybe I can help.

Making up my mind, I throw on a jacket and rush out the door. He's only halfway down the block. I'll keep my distance so he doesn't see me. I begin my walk.

Then Michael boards the bus.

Shit.

Michael's POV

The bus stop is in my sights. As I approach, my anger builds.

Jeremy probably doesn't even like you.

He's probably just using you to make Christine jealous.

The reason he didn't break up with Christine is because he doesn't want to be with you.

I kick the side of the bus stop, grateful no one else is nearby. The bus pulls up. As I climb on I see Jeremy running towards the bus in the distance. I ignore him and give the driver my money. This ride is an expensive one.

Next stop on this train wreck: Camden

A/N

And I was worried I wouldn't get anything out until the end of my winter break. Why am I like this?