if they mess with you, they mess with me.

prompt: #27, "if they mess with you, they mess with me."

You and Steve had only just started dating a month or two ago, but you could already tell that you loved Steve. Something about him made your insides flutter. And you were nearly positive that he felt the same.

"Y/N!"

You heard the familiar sound of Steve's voice as you spun around. Spotting the boy chasing down the hallway, a smile spread on your lips. "Hey!" You grinned as he pulled you in to him, pecking your lips quickly.

Something wasn't right. You could tell by the way his voice was shaky. "Are you alright, Steve?"

"Yeah. Are you?"

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Huh?"

"I-I, um ..." he trailed off and you shoved his arm playfully, but still concerned. "I guess you haven't heard, then." Steve brought a hand up and scratched the back of his neck, a nervous habit of his.

"Heard what, Steve?"

"What Carol said."

You gulped. This couldn't be good if Carol was involved. "Why? What did she say?"

"Nothing," he paused, looking in your eyes. He sighed, "she said some pretty cruel stuff about you, Y/N. About ... us. I tried to talk to her, but apparently a lot of people already heard and I'm sorry."

"Oh," you sighed. Steve wrapped his arms around your waist, making you snake yours around his neck. You buried your face in his neck. "What did she say?"

"Just that I'm only using you for sex ..." he nearly whispered, and you could tell that it just disgusted him to think about. You knew that it was a lie, but it still hurt. "It's not true, Y/N. You know that, right? Don't listen to them. Don't listen to Carol and those girls."

"I know."

He pulled away from your embrace, but still kept you close with his hands on your waist. "If they mess with you, they mess with me."

You chuckled as a slight grin tugged on his lips. "Thank you."

This time, you were the one to kiss him. You stood on your toes and pecked his lips softly. You felt safe in his arms, and knew that this would pass sooner rather than later. But you couldn't help but think, what if it was true?

As if Steve was reading your mind, he looked straight in your eyes. "Do not believe them."

You nodded. You were lucky to have Steve in your life, whether it be for just over a month. "Steve?"

"Hm?"

"I love you," his eyes brightened, as his lips curled up into a smile. This made you beam, too.

"I love you, too, Y/N."