why dont you tell me why you really came here tonight?

prompt: #52, "why don't you tell me why you really came here tonight?"

You sat in your room, staring blankly at the wall in front of you. Your legs were crossed beneath you as you sat on your bed, biting your nails. You had just finished a long hour of crying your eyes out. There were no more tears left, so you sulked instead. Like always, your mom was out, probably at a bar or something, so you were left at home alone.

Alone was the one thing you didn't need at the time.

Sniffling, you pushed yourself off the bed and headed out to the kitchen. There, you snatched the car keys off of the counter and slipped on your shoes, walking to the car. It was chilly out, which you forgot, seeing as you only had a t-shirt on. His shirt.

You slid into your car, turning the key in the ignition and shivering. Immediately, the car started, and you pressed the button so that the heater would radiate throughout the car. Slowly, you backed out of the driveway and headed down the road.

Ten minutes later, you found yourself sitting in the driveway of a familiar house; one that you hadn't seen the inside of since the sixth grade. Biting your lip, you debated your options: stay in the car and go back home, just to sulk some more, or to go knock on the door and hopefully get an answer. You went with the second one.

Your knuckles collided with the door and soon enough, it opened to reveal a boy with long brown hair that was dripping down onto the collar of his shirt. He looked as if he had just gotten out of the shower as he squinted your eyes at you. "Y/N?"

Suddenly, a sob escaped your lips as you broke down. Confused, Steve pulled you into his arms, out of the cold. He surrounded you with warmth, pulling you into the house and closing the door.

He wrapped his arms around you as you nuzzled your face into his neck, tears falling down your face. He hugged you tightly and did nothing more.

The two of you stayed like that, him holding you, for nearly five minutes before you pulled away, breathing deeply and wiping at your eyes. "Sorry," you mumbled quietly and he cupped your cheek. You looked up into his eyes that were filled with concern and confusion.

"Why don't you tell me why you really came here tonight?"

"I—"

He cut you off, "hold on. Let me get you some clothes that aren't soaked from the rain."

You nodded, following him upstairs. As you entered his bedroom, your mind was immediately consumed with memories from your childhood. When you would sleep over at Steve's house for the entire weekend. You would switch off, sometimes he would stay at yours, sometimes you would stay at his. His room hadn't changed other than a few tiny decorations.

"Here," Steve handed you one of his hoodies and a pair of shorts. You headed to the bathroom where you slipped on the grey hoodie and the green basketball shorts. Watching yourself in the mirror, you rubbed your eyes with the heel of your palms and sighed. The night had been going so well until merely two hours ago.

As you walked back into his room, Steve's eyes lit up at the sight of you wearing his clothes. You had thought nothing of Steve other than a childhood best friend; until now. You realized how pretty he was, and why every girl in your school was in love with him. You didn't blame them, he was gorgeous.

"William broke up with me."

Steve's face morphed into a frown as you took a seat beside him on the bed. He grabbed your hand and held it in his lap. "I'm sorry."

"Well, I broke up with him," you explained. "He was making out with Carol. At the party. That he told me to go to. With him. He took me there."

"What a dickhead."

"Yeah," you looked down at the two of your hands. His thumb traced circles on the back of your hand. You could tell that he was doing the motion subconsciously as he studied your face. You looked back up at him. "Sorry I came here unannounced."

"No. Don't be," he shook his head. "I'm glad you did."

Suddenly, you felt yourself being drawn in. Your lips connected with Steve's and it felt like magic. Nothing else mattered but Steve and you at that moment. But then he pulled away unsurely.

"What?" You looked at him.

"Don't kiss me," he said. "You don't actually want to. That's your way of getting back at William."

"Steve," you turned your body towards him, "it's not like that."

"You promise?"

You could see the hurt in his eyes and you gulped. You were almost positive that you kissing him wasn't just because of William. But almost positive wasn't enough for Steve. He'd been hurt one too many times. "I don't know." You bit your lip.

Steve wrapped an arm around your shoulders as you laid your head on his chest. "I'm always here for you, you know that, Y/N?" Silently, you nodded and wrapped your arms around his waist. His chin rested atop your head as he held you and you stayed like that for the rest of the night.