you're a disappointment

prompts
#14: you're a disappointment

-

Friday night. The day after Steve had found out that he wasn't going to college, the boy was beyond nervous for his parents' reaction. Steve had been your next door neighbour since before you could remember, and you two were generally close friends too. Your parents understood how hard Steve's life was at home, which was the main reason he came to you for anything. Including this.

"Hey, Y/N."

"Hey, Steve," you greeted, holding open the door as you leaned against it. The year older boy nervously fidgeted with his hands as he stood on your porch, feet away from the front door. "Um, what's up?"

"I- is your mom home?" he asked and you shook your head. "Okay, that's fine. Can I come in?"

"Y-yeah," you nodded, opening the door wider to allow the messy headed boy to step inside. He did so, slipping his shoes off as you shut the door, locking it. "So, um, what do you need? I mean- why are you here?"

"I..." he trailed off. "Can I have something to drink?"

"Oh, yes! Sorry," you mumbled, scurrying off to the kitchen in a rush. Your manners, somehow, had flown out the window for the time being. Usually you were so polite, offering a snack or something to eat when a visitor came by. Though, it seemed whenever Steve came by, those tasks inhabited from your parents were long gone. He made you nervous, to say at the least. It was no secret, either.

"Water? Tea?"

"Um, do you have milk?" Steve raised his eyebrows, leaning against the wall as you nodded. Opening the fridge, you grabbed the jug out and lifted it onto the counter, pouring him a glass.

"Thank you," he said, raising the glass to his lips once you had placed the milk jug back in the fridge. He stood there, leaning against the wall, drinking his cup of milk as you watched him intently. "What?"

"N-nothing."

"Hm." The glass was lifted to his lips again.

"Why are you here?"

"What, you don't want me here?"

"No, it's not that-"

"So you do want me here?"

"Steve."

"Sorry, sorry. Continue," the boy grinned, his nervous and anxious façade seemingly disappearing as seconds passed. You sighed, lifting yourself onto the counter as your legs dangled beneath.

"Usually you show up if you need something. And you asked if my mom was here- why was that? What do you need?" you asked, this time more carefully as you eyed the boy. Sighing, Steve set the, now empty, glass of milk down in the sink and walked over to you, leaning against the counter.

"I need to talk to you. Well, more your mom. Where is she, by the way?" he asked, brown eyes staring into yours. You gulped.

"She's out. Late night grocery run. We need eggs," you answered and Steve nodded. "You can talk to me, if you'd like."

"My parents-" he started before sitting atop the countertop himself. His sudden pause gave you time to think. His parents, what? "They kicked me out. I think."

"What?"

"I- I didn't get into college."

"That's your fault for only applying to two places," you said pointedly, earning a roll of the boy's eyes. Your mind thought back a few months, to when you helped Steve with his applications. Sure, you were a year younger than him, but still smarter and knew more about the American school system than he did. By far. "Anyway, continue."

"I told them. About not getting into any college," he said and you nodded. "My father left the room. I haven't spoken to him. I'd assume he's mad."

"Isn't he the one wanting you to stay and work for him?"

"That's just a 'backup plan' apparently," Steve shrugged. You scrunched up your nose in confusion and Steve rolled his eyes. "I don't know either."

"What about your mom?"

"She..." Steve squeezed his eyes shut. His knuckles began to whiten as his fists clenched the counter. Then he relaxed. "Word for word. I knew you'd never get accepted. You're a disappointment to this family. Then she went on about some shit and kicked me out."

"Jesus, Steve."

"Yeah," he said, looking down. Subconsciously, you placed your hand over his.

"It's okay. You'll be okay."

"I wanted to ask your mom if I could-"

"-move in?" you finished and he nodded. You smiled. "I'm sure she'll say yea, Steve. Hell, she loves you more than she loves me, no doubt about it."

"That's a lie and we both know it, Y/N," he chuckled, interlacing your fingers with his. Steve brought your two hands up and kissed the back of yours. "How could someone possibly love me more than you?"

"Highly possible."

"Mmm, I don't think so," he said, his brown eyes darting between both of yours before flickering down to your lips. You were one hundred percent sure that your mind was playing tricks on you, and that Steve wasn't actually wanting to kiss you.

Boy, were you wrong.