would you just listen to me for two seconds?

prompt: #8, "would you just listen to me for two seconds?"

"Y/N! Y/N!"

Storming up the stairs angrily, you pulled the keys out of your pocket. Jiggling them in the doorknob, you pushed open the door, causing it to slam against the wall, leaving a dent. You slid your keys across the kitchen counter as your fiancée of three months followed behind you into the apartment.

"Y/N, you know that I didn't mean it."

"Steve, just shut up!" you shouted as he gently closed the door. You hated how calm Steve got during your arguments. Though, this one had escalated much farther than an argument. "You meant what you said and you know it!"

"I did not mean it, Y/N."

"Then why did you say it?"

"Because you picked a fight and—"

"Oh, so it's my fault now?" you ran your fingers through your hair, tugging at the ends slightly. Pacing back and forth, you rubbed your hands down your face in annoyance and stress. "I never meant for you to admit that you never wanted to get engaged!"

"Y/N, I do want to get engaged!"

"Then why did you say that you didn't?" you screamed, Steve grabbed your wrists. Harshly, you shrugged him off.

"The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them, okay?" he sighed and you shook your head, leaning against the fridge. "I do not mean anything that I have said over the past thirty minutes, Y/N. You know that half the time I speak before I think."

"You said that proposing to me was a mistake," you said, making eye contact with the man in front of you. "People don't just accidentally say that."

"There's a first for everything."

"Not like this!" Grabbing the keys off of the counter, you barged toward the door. Once you grabbed the door handle, Steve pulled you back by the wrist, spinning you around. "Steve, let me go!"

"Y/N—"

"Steve, I need to go!"

"Would you just listen to me for two seconds?" he yelled over your shouting and you quieted down. "Give me time to explain myself, Y/N. Please."

"One minute," you said and he breathed a sigh of relief, "you have one minute. Go."

"I didn't mean anything that I said, okay? You of all people should know that I don't think before I speak. I fucked up and I'm sorry but you have to give me this. Y/N, you are the absolute love of my life," he said, grabbing your hands. It took all of you not to break down in tears. "The argument got heated, Y/N. You said that I do too many stupid things, and maybe you're right. I'll start helping out more around here, okay? But you have to know that I work for all of this," he gestured around to the whole apartment, "and that is my way of helping out. If it really means something I'll do more when I get home from work or something. I didn't mean what I said when I said that getting engaged was a mistake. You're the love of my life, Y/N."

"That was more than a minute," you gripped the keys in your hand. The house key dig into your palm as you squeezed them tight.

"I know."

"I love you, too," you sighed and looked down, brushing your shoes against the carpet. "And I know that you work a lot. I just don't find it fair how when I get home from work, the house is messy and I have to clean it up when you're asleep in our bedroom, or watching television. Do you get that?"

"I do, and I'm sorry, okay?" Steve cupped your cheeks in his hands, locking his brown eyes with yours. "I'll do more. You might have to remind me though. But I will."

You nodded, looking down. He tilted your chin up and you looked at him again. "I love you," Steve placed a kiss on your lips.

"I love you, too."