Chapter One ~ The Asking

Melanie

"Melanie where are you?"

I heard the baritone voice of my arrogant boss, Marcelin (Marc) Hernandez calling out down the hall. I was hiding in the closet just to finish my poptart and to get a break from the deviant beast. I had come in at six am and now it was after ten pm and I felt as if I was literally about to pass out.

He had worked me like a runaway slave today and I only had five minutes to woof down my lunch from earlier.

"Melanie, I know you are here!" he shouted out in his Galician accent.

Why wouldn't this man go away? I know he owned one of the biggest investment firms in New Orleans but he was relentless. Maybe I needed to quit because although he paid really well, he was my aggravation.

I counted to ten and walked out the supply closet wiping my mouth and grabbing some supplies.

"Why are you in the supply closet?" he asked with those grayish-blue eyes that normally sucked you in like a vacuum. I quickly grabbed some paperclips from the shelf and staplers.

"I needed some supplies."

He looked at me through those slanted eyes. "I have been calling you for five minutes."

"The door was closed and I didn't hear you. I'm so sorry. Did you need me for something?"

"Actually I do."

"What can I do for you?"

"I need a date to the hospital's Valentine's Day Ball tomorrow night."

"Excuse me?"

"I need a date. I will pay you overtime and buy the dress."

"Why?" I asked a little confused.

You see Mr. Marc Hernandez was what you would call a mix between Ricky Martin and Konstantinos Martakis. Those light grayish-blue laser eyes could pierce you straight to your core, leaving you panting for more. He was tall with that perfectly sun-kissed tan that men and women would pay dearly for and that deep voice whispering to you would probably cause a premature orgasm. He was the sexual dessert that any woman would crave except for me because he was arrogant, needy and a pain in my black ass.

He folded his arms looking at me. "I need a date and you're not doing anything tomorrow night anyway."

I looked at him crazy. "No!"

"Why?" he asked in confusion.

"I'm busy." It wasn't true but I needed a break from him.

"I will give you triple time, and the weekend off."

"I am suppose to get the weekends off although you call me to do something for you every time."

"Seriously? Are you really suppose to be off on the weekends? I thought that was in your contract to be at my beck and call even on the weekends if not I need to add it."

"Hahaha very funny."

"Come on Melanie. I'm in a bind."

"Call one of your supermodel girlfriends."

"They are all busy."

"So I'm your last resort."

"Basically," he said with no thought as the words caused me to step back. He must have realized what he said as he walked up to me.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Yes you did."

"Melanie, I swear."