Chapter 24

"Are you sure Loki didn't come up with this plan?"

I was standing in the corner of Thor's room, breaking out my brilliant plan to him.

"I promise I came up with it all on my own!" I replied, exasperated. "I haven't seen Loki since he went into the dungeons. In case you don't remember, I was kind of banned from visiting him."

"Okay." Thor breathed a sigh. "I don't know how else to get the aether out of Jane, and your plan is the best shot we have, so yes, I will agree to it-"

A startled screaming interrupted our little chat.

"Thor? What's going on?" I yelped, watching him run towards the window.

"The dark elves! They're attacking Asgard! An alarm went off in the dungeons!"

"No! Loki!"

"Go find Jane, Astrid! Keep her away from harm. Please!"

"But I have to go see if he is okay!"

"Loki will be fine. He can handle himself. Now, please, just go."

"Fine." My heart pounded as I bolted down the hallway.

Servants and maids were rushing around everywhere, while the guards were trying to get people to safety. I dodged around a mass of people who worked in the kitchens, trying to get to Jane's chambers. A lock of chocolate brown hair caught my attention.

"Dad!"

My father turned around with wide eyes. "Bud! What are you doing here! You could get hurt!"

"Thor sent me to protect his mortal, Jane. Do you possibly know where she is?"

"Is she kind of scrawny and has dark brown eyes?"

"Yeah."

"I saw her with Frigga not too long ago. They're probably in her room."

"Thank you," I hugged him gratefully. "I love you."

"I love you too, darling. Now please stay safe, for your mother's and I's sake?"

"What are you talking about?" I smiled. "I'm always safe."

"Go get the girl, Ast."

"Bye, Dad."

"Bye, Bud."

I ran down the hallway past my father's group of guards and over to Frigga's part of the palace. If I knew the queen she would be in the place anyone least expected her.

Her spell room.

As I rounded the corner, a small gasp left my lips. A black creature with pointed horns had Frigga in a head lock in its arms. A pale man with pointed ears and a dark cloak walked up to her, a small smirk on his face.

"Where is the aether?"

"Let her go!" I yelled, entering the room.

"This is not your fight, Asgardian daughter."

"It is when you threaten someone I care about. Now let her go."

"I do not take orders from a pathetic child. I am the king of the dark elves."

"Malekith!" I hissed. "So you're the bastard behind the aether."

His face twisted in anger. "Who do you think you are, girl?"

"I am the daughter of Tyr, god of war and the skies. I have much more power than you take me for, Malekith."

"Do not say my name in vain, Asgardian. You will pay for the such insults that you have constructed against me."

I pulled out my sword aiming at him throat. "Bring it elf king."

Malekith swung his sword towards me, and I ducked and knicked his shoes with my blade. He groaned in pain, swing another blow just above my head.

"You are talented, young one, but are no match for me."

"You know," I paused, swinging my sword against his. "There's this thing called being conceded. It's a serious problem, something you should probably see a therapist for."

He growled in anger, taking another blow right behind my back.

"Stop moving!"

I took the chance to get up close, and knee him in the stomach, however, when I saw Jane behind the curtains on the other side of the room, I got knocked off guard. Malekith sliced a gouge into my stomach with just the tip of his sword, going in a few inches, but it hurt like hell.

I screamed, my hands clutching my stomach. The elf king took his chance to grab me by the waist, planting his fingers right over my wound. With his other hand, he placed his sword against my neck, keeping me from moving.

"Now I'm going to ask you again, my queen." Malekith pressed his fingers into my bleeding flesh, and I gasped out.

Frigga caught my gaze, a worried look in her eyes. "I'll never tell you."

"I believe you."

A bloodcurdling scream left my lips as the creature stabbed a sword right though Frigga's back. I quietly held a hand over my mouth, shutting my eyes. I did not want to see the queen fall. I heard the deafening crack of her body as it hit the floor, and I whimpered silently. Malekith pressed harder into my wound, making me shout out in pain, before calling to the creature to leave. He dropped me on the hard floor right next to Frigga, who was droning into an everlasting sleep.

Seconds after they left, Thor rushed in, a little too late, eyeing his dead mother on the ground. "No!"

I moaned aloud, shoving my hand against the ground as I tried to push myself up. The pain hurt, but it was bearable. I looked at Thor, placing a hand on the side of my face so that I would not see the closest thing I had to a real mother lying dead on the floor. I saw Jane's eyes peaking over from behind a set of curtains, as Thor bent down next to Frigga.

"Astrid, are you okay?" He looked at me for the first time in minutes.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you bleeding?" His eyes grew worried. "What happened?"

"It's nothing, Thor, just a cut."

"Just a cut? That looks deep into your stomach! Here let me see-"

"No, it's fine. I'll just go to the healers."

"Astrid-"

"I will, Thor."

"Okay, but straight to the healers. Please, Astrid. Do you know what Loki would do to me if he found out about this? I was suppose to keep you safe."

"I'm absolutely fine, Thor. I'm going to healers right now. I promise."

But I didn't promise. I wasn't going to the healers.