Chapter 18

The sun had blinded me as my eyes popped open. Streaming through the blinds was sunlight which cast an array of black lines across my naked body. The sheets were sprawled out over the bed covering my body but no one else's. Camila was no where in sight and the time seemed to portray where she was—the studio. How did she even manage to make it there? I'm sure she was sore. Cleaning myself up and proceeding to my morning routine, I entered the kitchen to make a quick breakfast. Eggos were tossed in the toaster and while I waited, I made some hot chocolate. It may be blazing in Miami but hot chocolate is that drink for anytime and anywhere. When the waffles had sprung up, I set them on a plate along with some syrup. Now I was stirring my drink and when mixed well, I carried my breakfast to the studio down the hall. It sort of bothered me to not see Camila beside me that morning but I'm sure she had her reasons to not wake me.

I had just finished tweaking a few songs. In a few weeks or so I should be finished with it unlike Camila. You could consider her album done at this point but she protested against the waiting and eager fans and continued to fix and add more things to it. It was her first album solo so she could take all the time she liked. If it's taking her this long and she still won't show me anything then I'm sure the finished product will be a masterpiece.

After staring at the wall for a long moment, I decided to go and give Camila a visit. On my way there, I received a few texts from her. She didn't know I was coming so I didn't know what the texts were about. Being a good citizen, I didn't bother to look at my phone so I continued to park near the studio. When parked, I checked my phone.

Camila - Gm babe

Camila - Sorry I needed to get to the studio early

Camila - 😘😘

I didn't bother to reply to her since I was right outside the studio. Walking in, I was greeted by a few people until I entered her room. Producers lined the soundboard while Sinu sat on the couch with her legs crossed and phone in hand. Shutting the door, the producers merely glanced at me while Sinu quickly stood and ran over to embrace me in a tight hug.

"Y/n it's so good to see you!" she grinned when pulling away from the hug.

I returned the gesture without a word and turned to look at the booth. While Sinu was talking I couldn't quite hear what she was singing but now Camila was sliding the headphones off of her head and setting them in its spot. Her eyes skimmed the studio to meet mine. A smile played at her lips and her eyes brightened immediately. Running from the booth with a limp in her step, she maneuvered around the equipment and chairs to greet me. She acted as if she hadn't seen me in years. She gave me a quick kiss before sliding her eyes down my body to stop at my pants. Stopping herself from making any actions, she moved her eyes back up to mine.

"Hey! I thought you were at home, you know with your girlfriend."

After many seconds of awkward silence filled air, Camila giggled lightly to herself only to playfully punch my arm. "It was a joke. I know my jokes are terrible but do you get it? You know, the studio is your girlfriend?"

When I didn't respond and only stared at her, she rolled her eyes and promised me, "Look I'm working on my jokes, ok? Working on music and jokes is very hard if you didn't know, mister. I promise in a few weeks you'll only like me because of my humor."

And with that she held out her pinky with a dopey smile stuck on her face and a gleam in her eyes as she looked at me.

"Promise?" I held out my pinky but yet to officially lock it with hers.

She nodded vigorously and shoved her pinky forward awaiting my usual response. I grinned when her smile slowly became a frown from the wait and I finally linked my pinky with hers. She moved away and skipped a little as she reached for her things and then towards the door. Before exiting she looked at me as if to make sure I was following. Doing so, we were now getting into my car not only ready to go to wherever Camila was wanting but also wanting to know where that was.

"Um, aren't you going to drive?" Her brow lifted as her brown eyes swiveled to meet mine in confusion of once again another wait.

"Um Camila, you never said where we were going," I somewhat mocked her and her eyes popped open as if she realized how much of a fool she was.

She averted her eyes saying, "I'm hungry. There's a sandwich shoo down the street."

I had yet to drive. I scanned her face for any sign on why she was suddenly acting this way. She would never forget to tell me something especially something as simple as wanting to go eat. It hit me though. Her long nights in the studio. Early mornings too. Although she was beautiful as ever, I spotted the sleep she so desperately needed. There was really no need to comment so I drove put from my parking space and let Camila navigate to the sandwich shop.

We arrived, ordered, and picked a booth in the far corner. Slightly torn, slightly not. It was odd. Camila was staring down at the table as she traced small patterns with her nail. In her own little trance you could see her eyelids drooping only to pop open struggling to stay awake. Usually right now she'd be up and chatting her heart away, attempting at some more jokes, and speaking of her music but now, she seemed like someone completely different.

"Woohoo. Mila?"

Her head managed to fling upwards and her eyes met mine as if we had been talking this whole time.

"You alright? You've been in a daze since the car," I pointed out.

"Yeah it's just-"

"It's been you having long work hours and little sleep. I mean this isn't the first this has happened. Maybe you should take a few days off? Rest up."

She sucked in a breath as she watched a worker carry over our meals. "I know I should. I just want this album to be perfect. It's my first album by myself and it deserves to be good," she paused as if gathering up her next words, "I'll ask and see if I can have time off."

Pleased, we ate and talked like normal. Now she was up and running. She was busting our jokes that I didn't want to admit were funny and she only tried to better them. Mid conversation my phone rang interrupting Camila.

"One moment," was all I said before leaving her with an apologetic look and padding to the door.

Before answering, I sent Camila a wink from through the window earning a blushing Camila. Even though the caller ID read as Unknown, I decided it was better to take the call outside.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Y/n. It's nice to hear your voice. You know the last time I heard from you was... Oh right! When you told Camila about our association."

My heart sunk. Dramatically. How did he know?

When I didn't answer he continued to speak, "You knew the rules and you failed so early? Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought you could do better. Now remember, Y/n. Everything has consequences."

A beep indicated the call had ended. Camila must've noticed my darkened expression from the window leaving her with concern in her eyes. I could only look at her. No emotion. No telling her what I had just heard. No telling on what would happen next.

~~~
Soooo. I'm trash, I know. But I mean this book is no longer on hold and i will officially be updating again! If chapters keep getting farther apart in publishing wise that means I've been working on a newer book which will be published after this book is done. Trust me it's longer and better. I APOLOGIZE ON THE HORRIBLE HOLD OF THIS BOOK AND HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO PUBLISH AGAIN. Honestly I feel so bad. But I love y'all and still your constant support - H