Chapter 19

It's been a few days. After repetitive begging, I had finally convinced Camila to take her days off from the studio earlier than she had originally wanted. Though when she asked about the call, I told her a blatant lie.

"What was that about?"

"Ah, just a little bit of bad news from Max talking he'll be away for a couple of days. I'm guessing I'm going to need to find a temporary, you know?"

"Promise?"

That was it. I had never promised her though. Luckily a waitress had come by and interrupted us interfering the promise that I knew I'd break. Since I didn't promise, that wasn't the case.

Since hearing Shawn's voice, I've been on edge. When Camila turns her back on me my smile fades and my mind returns to the situation at hand. When she looks at me again, the guard is back up. All smiles, everything's fine, no more bad.

I knew everything I have done has hurt Camila. All the shit we've been through felt like it was straight out of a basic book. A story which you knew the ending just by reading the title. Though this was real life. It wasn't from an author who made up characters and decided their fate. No, you couldn't tell the ending by reading the title. You couldn't tell because half of the book was burned.

Camila was happily humming an unfamiliar tune which I could only hope it was one of her own songs. I sat on the stairs quietly watching her mesmerizing figure sway to her own little beat. A smile crossed her lips as the food she was cooking turned out the way she wanted it to be.

"You there?"

"Yeah, yeah."

I told Max of what happened the other day and I knew once he heard Shawn's name he was on high alert. He knew of the cover up I had told Camila and he decided to stick with it and send me a 'temporary' who was also someone who could keep Camila safe and report back to Max on anything suspicious going on in the area.

"So I'll send him by then? Tomorrow," Max stated a sigh suppressing his words in the end.

"Thank you so much. Everything you do for us is much appreciated. I'll make sure to pay you more-"

"Nah, nah. You two are like family to me. Don't worry about 'the pay'. I'm doing my job and I'm also doing this for friends in need. It's all on me," he finalized.

Sighing relieved, I mumbled my last thanks before Camila had gained my attention. Her eyes were bright as they were on me along with that smile that reassured me that she was genuinely okay. It was good to see her in a good mood when I wasn't. Maybe it was good that I hadn't told her the truth.

"Dinner is ready!" She hummed her eyes swiveling back and forth from me and the food she gratefully held in front of her.

Nodding to let her know I heard, I slipped my phone into my pocket and made my way over to her. Leaning against the counter as I watched her set the table I asked, "So what's for dinner anyways?"

She stopped to glance at me and smiled to herself. "I actually don't even know. Mixed some things together and hopefully we both will enjoy it and if we do I will do the honor of naming this meal," she replied.

Rolling my eyes playfully, she seemed to catch the act and lightly hit me in the shoulder. When she realized I was still just standing there, she nodded in the direction of the stacked plates signaling for me to fix my plate. I put whatever Camila's 'creation' was onto my plate only to examine it further.

"We should name it Hairy," I proposed and she quickly turned her attention to me. Eyebrows pinched together 8n utter confusion, she spat, "What? Why? A horrible name for an honorable dish."