CHAPTER 13

Engaged

Weeks turned into months; and months turned into a year. Both Sameer and Sameera we're sure that their relationship was beyond just infatuation.

"So, how was your day?" asked Sameera, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"Nothing special, but I need to fly to Canada for a conference." he replied.

She sat up straight and asked, "When?"

"Next month," he replied, placing her head on his shoulder once more. "How was your day?"

"Sad," she pouted.

"Why? Why so?"

"the tiny's are promoted to the first standard."

He laughed aloud and said, "We'll have a tiny soon."

She looked up at him and blushed red giggling a little.

"Will I make a good wife?" she asked, looking at the sea beyond them as the sun began to set in the horizon.

The sand was cold and the humid breeze turned cool and plesent.

"Of course you will," he reassured.

"I don't know Sameer, but after all that happened...I don't know if we'll...ever be husband and wife." she sighed. "Though my past is no more, I still fear that it will affect our future."

Sameer remained silent, he knew that she wasn't wrong in what she was saying, but he still loved her; enough to chose her as his mate for life. He knew that Sameera dreaded intimacy, most of all she dreaded sex. She loved kids and he wouldn't mind adopting one for them. All he wanted was her happiness.

"I, I dread sex," she said, exhaling with exhaustion in her voice. "I cannot be a good wife Sameer, I think it's best if you; I mean we...part wa-"

He immediately prevented her from speaking further by placing a finger on her lips.

"Sameera, I don't see you as an object of pleasure; I love you because of what you have made yourself to be despite your past. I never said, I need a virgin as wife; what I really want is life long companionship."

She smiled at him with tears blurring her vision. Since her treatment, she lived in a notion that all men were exactly the same. She used to believe that marriage meant only a means of having sex. But, Sameer's words changed her perspective; among all the thousands she was now sure that he was the perfect match for her.

"Is your family coming?"

"No," replied Sameer. "I have no family and that's a secret which no one knows, except for you."

"So, your an orphan."

"Yes," he nodded. "as far as I've heard, the NGO in Hyderabad picked me up from a thrash can."

"So....no one adopted you?" she asked, filled with pity.

"No one," he clucked, looking at the black waters. "I stayed till I was eighteen, I was provided education; I began working."

"Working? Where and how?"

"I began working at a call center, with that money I completed my education, got a house and now a beautiful fiance." he said giving a soft peck on her cheek.

"I can't believe that we'll be engaged tomorrow."

The next evening,

Sameer was already at the venue with Aakash and the other doctors. Dressed in a black suit and trouser, he looked dashing.

"So, finally your dream has come true!" teased Aakash nudging him

"Yes, I'm glad!" he replied with the most contended smile.

Sameera walked from the entrance of the hall with Shaysha to her left. Sameer was left baffled by her breathtaking beauty. In a golden saree, she was just too beautiful to even be an angel.

The blush on the cheeks were more than enough as make up on her cheeks

The blush on the cheeks were more than enough as make up on her cheeks. The glow in her eyes, were brighter than the khol that ran to darken her eyes. Her lips were widned into a cute smile which was much more beautiful than her fuschia pink lipstick.

She stood before Sameer, who couldn't take his eyes off her even for a moment.

"Are you just going to stare at each other or going to put the ring!?" laughed Dr. Naveen.

They blushed red and laughed. Sameer took the ring and put it on Sameer's finger followed by her doing the same.

Their friends hooted and applauded for the couple. Sameera looked at Shaysha, who wasn't too happy with the engagement.

She went up to her and said, "Shaysha, I-"

"I'm glad that you have moved on." said Shaysha pretending a smile.