~Chapter 16~ Darkness Spreads

I teleported Jack and I to the nurses office when I noticed that he was in a lot of pain, while the nurse healed him I had some time to ponder over what had happen during the fight. When who I assumed was their leader was in my head, when I couldn't use my powers and when Jack easily blocked me out even though he just was just waking up after being unconscious due to a shadow attack. What was that attack?

It was an ancient spell that father had taught me; it was a spell for people who at the peak of welding dark magic. It was one of the two ways for someone to steal another's magic. Which would mean that Jack would no longer be able to obtain his magic... He definitely had nothing to do with this fight. But can that really prove that he's not in Tenebris?

And what was up with HIM. I hadn't heard HIS voice in a very long time... I thought HE went away when I left that life of dark magic behind.... But I suppose no matter how hard I try my darkness will never go away.

"He's fully healed Now," the nurse snapped me out of my thoughts. I nodded and walked up to Jack, seeing he still looked a little shaken up up and in a bit of pain.

"You okay?" I asked, my concern for him overtaking all thought. He gave a weak nod before trying to stand. I helped him up and out of the room.

"You will feel pain for another five minutes it's a then everything should be fine. You're good to go to your audition now," the nurse said and I teleported him to where the others were already waiting.

"Are you okay? We thought he killed You," Wade said worriedly.

"What happened exactly?" Jack asked, rubbing his head slightly.

"You don't remember?" Bob asked as I looked Jack up and down.

"N-no. I remember a truck and that's it," he said, sounding extremely honest.

"Their dark magic welder used this old spell on you that left you unconscious. Mark had to use telepathy to wake you up after Tenebris left. You honestly don't remember?" Bob explained quickly.

"Ah, no. I remember a truck then waking up on the ground in pain," Jack said, seeming lost in thought.

"Well, at least you're okay. You going to be able to do the tournament's still?" I stepped in, seeing Jack didn't want anymore questions asked. He gave a slight nod before looking down.

"Yeah, I should be good for that. The pain is wearing off now. I'll be okay," he said, giving me a warm smile.

*****

We worked perfectly as a team, it was as if we had been doing this for years, of course Jack was still a little shaken up from the ambush, but everyone else was fully healed and doing great. The entire audition I did not see Jack fly, all he did was use his telekinesis, which I would was even better. But I had to ask him about that after the audition was over.

"Outstanding as ever boys," One of the three judges said.

"Congratulations, you passed the auditions and now you will be moving into the tournament," The judge sitting in the middle said to us.

"You may leave and rest," the last judge said to us before waving their hand and opening the door.

The guys and I walked out of the room, we decided to part ways for now and get some rest. Jack and I were walking back to the apartment since we used most of our energy fighting the ambush and showing off at the audition.

"You didn't fly the entire time, what happened?" I asked his clearly curious.

"I don't remember how..." He responded sounding distraught.

"It's alright... I'm sure it'll take time for you to unlock it again, but you'll be able to fly again soon enough." I said to him trying to reassure him.

He gave me a nod before we continued to walk in silence. This gave me time to think.

If I had only used magic... I could have save him. If only I had gave into HIM... I could have protected him. If only...

I felt a hand grab onto mine snapping me out of my thoughts, I looked over and saw that Jack was the one who grabbed it. He gave me a small giddy smile before looked away quickly. A small smile emerged from me, and for the first time in a while, I could feel myself let go of the darkness that was growing within me.

*****

It's been a few days since the audition and the ambush, the tournament was hours away. But in the meantime the group has been investigating who had planned the attack and we had come to the conclusion that it was Tenebris who sent their men to "warn" us. I don't know what happened but I guess I snapped once I heard Tenebris.

"Every. Single. Time. They're always a step ahead of us. How are they always one step ahead of us!" I said as I smashed my hand onto the map table in the control centre, releasing large amounts of magic throwing everyone against the wall.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe before opening again to see everyone in the room seeming to be afraid of me.

"Now I know what you guys meant when you said he was powerful." Jack said being the first to speak up. We allowed him in the control centre now since he was also one of the one's who got ambushed also.

"Mark." Wade said almost timidly.

I gave him a questioning look, indicating that I wanted him to continue.

"Your eyes are glowing.." Bob said responding for Wade.

"And th-er-re are shadows coming out of yo-ur body." Wade said now clearly afraid.

I turned to the mirror we had placed in the room. They were right, I had glowing eyes that had a hint of red, and shadows were coming out of me.

What have I become... What will I become again... I should have never let those insecurities take over. Aura always said that's how the darkness takes over... They feed on your insecurities and they use it against you. I need to get away. I need to go to a place where no one can get hurt. 

 I closed my eyes and took another deep breathe, and this time when I opened them, everything was back to normal. I turned around to see that everyone was now getting back up, and not cowering in fear of me anymore, but the looks on their faces said otherwise. I gave them a sad smile before teleporting away.