~Chapter 23~ A Great Shift

"Darkness... that's all you are. A burden to everyone, a tragedy that shouldn't have happened. You're the scum of the earth," an old yet familiar voice said to me in a bitter tone before continuing "the world will never accept your truest self, you try so hard to hide Mark. You pretend to be good and yet you fail to see that you'll always be drawn into darkness. I mean look at the man you're sleeping with. A natural born psychopath, and you? A sociopath manipulating his way through everything."

I said nothing in response to their comments,

"So... Mark, when are you going to tell them there is no Dark, and the voice in your head is really just you talking to yourself?"

I let out a ragged sigh, but still continued to say nothing in response. I got out of the bed carefully due to Jack still being there and I walked to the control room.

"All those 'internal struggles' you were having. All just an act for Aura. You knew she was listening in on your thoughts and what better way to stop her from finding out the truth then to make it seem like you weren't always in control. I must applaud you, you almost fooled me... But you slipped,"

I turned the monitors on and I noticed that there hasn't been any strange activity from Aura around the area. If she wanted Jack she would have come after me but it seems she had something else in mind.

"Creating a mind blackout and relying on your other senses to fight Amber; I'm impressed by your quick thinking,"

There was a new energy signature within the area, I decided to farther investigate it, since it might propose a threat. I did a scan, and the results that came back shocked me.

"I'm not just your dark magic talking to you begging to be used. No... Daddy's back, and he's ready to play," I hear him say to me in a tone that clearly suggests he was doing an evil grin after a chuckle.

I went to the hidden drink shelve poured myself a glass of scotch before leaning against one of the chairs in the room in defeat. I held the glass of alcohol in my hand, so ready to drink it and let my system fail on me.

If father is back... Then everything I've done has been for nothing...

"Don't tell me you actually started to believe you could be good," I heard him say with a slight chuckle "You're so much more naive then I give you credit for."

"You think I want to be good? No. I was just trying to ensure my power over the world; it might have been your world before father, but it's mine now." I blocked him out of my mind after that, and the next time I have to listen to that tyrant of a voice it would be when we meet on the battle field.

"What was that?" I heard Jack's voice say as he walked sleepily towards me, I put down my drink and gave him a look of confusion before he continued, "That surge of darkness... It felt strong. Stronger then Aura's powers... Almost like the power a God would have if the Gods were real,"

I scanned the look on his face and I saw the fear in his eyes. If he could sense father's energy from in here then his powers were definitely growing by the second.

"It doesn't matter now, we have to get Aura's powers out of you before it's too late," I said in a tone of urgency.

"No! I will not give up my powers and I want you to give straight answer. You've been dodging all my questions lately and I want answers," to my surprise he lashed out at me when I tried to lead the conversation else where.

I took a calming sigh before saying "That energy you felt was my father, and the reason I want Aura's magic out of your system is because it took her years to be able to even be in control. I just fear that the darkness will take over your mind and body and I don't want to lose you....."

"I get you don't want to lose me, but I would rather take the risk with my powers then to go out there and face your father powerless," he responds back to me,

"You don't understand what it will do to you," I tried to explain.

"I don't need to understand, I'm not giving up these powers," he shouted at me as a flash of bright green appeared in his eyes for a brief moment.

It's started...

"Fine then. Leave. I tried to keep you safe, but now I see that you don't need or want to be saved. I don't care what happens to you anymore, but I warn you... Next time we see each other I won't be so nice," I told him sternly and as calmly as possible.

He scuffed at me before heading in the direction of the exit, I returned to my chair and continued to sit in defeat. After I felt Jack shadow jump out of the cave I immediately grabbed my drink and threw in toward the wall in anger. I saw myself on the reflection of the sleeping monitors, out of anger I closed my eyes let out a scream at myself. I opened my eyes and after seeing myself I took a step back. I had broken the monitors, and my glowing red eyes were back, I was emitting a mild dark glow out of me again; I instinctively reached for my necklace to turn it back on, as it sometimes accidentally turns off. But it wasn't there, I started to head towards the bedroom, as that was the most likely place it would be.

As I walked in I immediately saw the necklace, but it had a note under it. I walked towards it took the necklace, a closer examined the note. It said:

Mark,

As you're reading this you're probably alone, and we've gone our separate ways. Last night was... different. In a good way, and we clearly have chemistry; but you and I aren't exactly in the best situations... I'm aware of what Aura's magic is doing to me, changing me. Maybe after this war I'll be able to get rid of this. By the way, you're not only darkness; whatever your motive is, from what I've seen from you, I know you care. As much as you wish to deny it there's parts of good in you, that I know you've been suppressing. I don't know much about good saying I'm basically a monster and becoming a darker one, but don't face him in this war with the same hate he has, you're so much better then him. You have been born into darkness and you feel as though that is the only thing that makes sense to you, but under different circumstances I truly believe you would have been a hero.. and I just wanted to say thank you for caring about me. It made me realize I do have some good feelings in me after all.

-I hope we live,

Jack

I started to tear up from all the overwhelming emotions I was feeling, but I wiped them away before any could escape. I looked at the letter and left the on the dresser before leaving with my necklace; I shadowed jumped out of the entrance once I was there and wore my necklace. Being back to my more normal looking self, I started to make my way back to WinterCrest with only one question in mind.

How do I kill my father?