Chapter 9

On the way to school on Monday, Hank drives towards a 7-Eleven. Immediately, I slap my hands against the windows. I used to go all the time before I entered the program. Going in there may seem like something small, but I haven't been able to enjoy the small things since my old life was ripped from me.

"What?" Hanks raises his brows as gripping the steering wheel.

"Stop the car" I beg.

"Why?" Thomas questions while looking over his shoulder to glance at me.

"There's a 7 eleven coming up" I point down the road.

"So?" Thomas cocks a brow.

"So I haven't eaten breakfast and I'm hungry" I grit my teeth at him.

"No," Hank says flatly.

"Why?" I cry like a child about to throw a tantrum.

"I have a meeting this morning," Hank tells me "I'll be late"

Why can't I just walk to school from 7 eleven? That way I can eat on the way. It's probably only a twenty-minute walk, I can survive that.

"So drop me off and I'll walk to school" I suggest as folding my arms.

There's a moment of silence as Hank contemplates.

"...Fine" he gives in before parking the car at the kerb.

"Thank you," I grin proudly before jumping out of the car with my backpack. I stand on the sidewalk as glaring at Thomas through the window. "Are you coming?"

"Nope" he shakes his head "but save me some Cheetos"

"In your dreams" I roll my eyes while shutting the door.

***

"Thank you," I tell the guy behind the counter who hands me my change, which I stuff into my back pocket.

I hold my big gulp in my right hand, and my plastic bag filled with Cheetos and taquitos in my left. Suddenly my cell phone begins buzzing. I quickly transfer my big gulp to my left hand as taking my cell phone from my pocket.

"So Nora wants to make her own turkey this year...something about impressing her boyfriend" the man starts "please tell me that you know what Hank puts in his stuffing, or else I have to listen to her go on and on and on for the next two months"

"Who is this?" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Wow, I am offended, Isla" he teases, "I thought we had something special"

Uh of course. I'll recognize his poor sense of humour anywhere.

"Hey, Johnathan" I smirk "and don't say that, it's creepy"

"Sorry" he laughs. "How are you three likely the new location?"

Johnathan Banks is the FBI agent assigned to our case. He has been the only constant in our lives for the past two years. He and Hank used to be good friends as well as colleagues before all this happened.

"Best one by far" I nod my head.

"So no problems then?" He asks.

"No not really" I admit. My mind then goes back to the fight between Tommy and Thomas. "Well, there's a guy we hang out with named Thomas-"

"Uhh," he interrupts, immediately knowing where this is going. "So you two have made friends?"

"Yeah," I tell him "there's a group of five....seven if you include us...they're nice people"