Chapter 48

I exit the classroom slowly to see Kyle standing a few feet in front of me. He turns his head quickly away from me -
Attempting to avoid eye contact.

"Hey" I furrow my brows.

"Hi" Kyle runs his fingers through his hair as we walk down the hallway beside each other.

Kyle and I haven't really spoken to each other since the bathroom incident at that party. The longest conversation since, was probably at Tommy's brothers funeral.

"I haven't spoken to you since....we stopped speaking I guess" I start slowly.

"Whose fault was that?" He raises a brow.

Umm yours.

I glare at him "you're the one that wanted to change the rules of the game"

Kyle shes his head "No I wanted my friend back" he narrows his eyes "you would only to speak to me when you wanted sex"

"That's what we agreed to" I roll my eyes.

"We never agreed to stop caring about one another" he shakes his head.

"I never stopped caring about you" we push past a crowded hallway.

The honest truth is that we weren't close before we started sleeping together. As soon as our secret began, so did our friendship.

"No, but you wanted me to stop giving a damn about you" he hisses.

Kyle was asking too many question. He even started asking Willow about me. He wanted to know about my scars. Kyle was a liability. He had the potential to get me relocated.

"You cared too much" I look down.

"It's hard not to" he softens his voice. "You keep everyone at arm's length"

Well, that's what it's like being in the witness protection program. We can't trust anybody.

"Don't pretend to know me Kyle" I beg, in slight anger.

He shakes his head "I know you"

Oh no you don't. Nobody here does.

"You don't know the first thing about me" I stop in my tracks as we reach my locker.

I lean my back against my locker and fold my arms.

"I know you bite your nails when your nervous....and your bottom lip when your thinking hard...your voice goes quiet when you're unsure...you laugh when your uncomfortable...walk fast when you're deep in thought - probably thinking about your past my guess is....you look away when you receive a compliment...and your clumsy as all fuck...and I know what no one else does" he leans towards me "you're scared shitless"

"Of what?" I gulp as struggling to maintain eye contact.

"Whoever it was who gave you these" he rubs his thumb against my scars that were hidden under my graphic tee. He leans closer "my father's an FBI field officer in New York...I know stab wounds when I see them" he whispers.

With that Kyle leaves my sight.

Different people would take different things from that conversation. What was my take away? His father is FBI field officer in New York.

This is all I knew about Kyle's dad till today: He is in and out of Kyle's life - That's it.

How is it possible that we have been located in the same town as Jonathan's biological daughter and a guy whose dad works for the FBI in the city that I grew up in?

Jonathan never told me if he put us here deliberately.

"You can trust me" Johnathan reassured that last time that I saw him.