Chapter 46

"Yours hasn't come in yet?" Laura raises both brows as we sit in the cafeteria.

"Well only San Francisco state" I admit.

"What other colleges did you apply to?" Willow questions.

Oxford. The college I've been dreaming of attending ever since I could remember.

"Just a few different one's" I look down at my fingertips.

"You should go to San Francisco state with Tommy, me, and Jacob" Willow suggests as munching on a spoonful of Mac and cheese.

I nod slowly.

Monday, May 16th is today's date. Everybody else has a large pile of acceptance/rejection letters.

I have only one letter. An acceptance letter from San Francisco state university. The college that I probably will end up going to cause I'm not allowed to leave the state.

Laura told us that she and Ely got accepted into Harvard. Ely can't leave San Francisco because of his siblings so he probably won't go.

Kyle is heading to New York - like he had always planned. He's going to Columbia - I'm impressed.

Then Tommy, Willow, and Thomas are going to San Francisco State University.

Oh, poor Tommy. After his brother died he's been showing up to school less and less. I haven't seen him in over a week.

"Has anyone spoken to Tommy?" I question casually.

"I've tried but he's ignoring calls" Laura admits. "Than when he does answer he's drunk" she adds "His drinking is out of control,"

Since his brother died, Tommy's has been showing up to school drunk. It's like he's stopped caring.

"Agreed" I nod slowly "It's like he's become dependant on alcohol"

"Guys leave him alone" Willow orders "That's just how he deals with his problems"

"Which is unhealthy" Laura tells her.

"It's fine" she rolls her eyes.

"Don't you care?" I snap at her.

If Willow cared then she would agree that what he's doing is unhealthy. She would try to help him.

"Who do you think you are saying that to me?" Willow glares at me as if she were about to punch my face "I'm the one who answers his late night drunken phone calls and picks him up when he's wondering the streets alone at two thirty in the morning! So you better shut the fuck up cause you know nothing!" She emphasizes 'nothing'.

Laura and I exchanged concerned looks.

****

"Emma" Mrs Martin starts an hour later when I was in modern history "how's Tommy going?"

I stood on a chair, hanging posters on the wall as Mrs Martin's request (due to being the first one to finish the work).

Modern History was the class that Tommy and I had together. I cherish our one on one time where he can rant about the tv show freaks and geeks without being made fun of, and I could tell him about my current binge watching addiction that I couldn't seem to shake.

How was Tommy going? It was a hard question. I haven't seen him much since his brother died.

"He's....not doing so great" I admit as pinning a large poster of the industrial revolution on the pinboard.

Suddenly I hear the aggressive thunder and see the bright lightning from out the window.

Damn. Weird weather for spring.