Chapter 62

"Thanks for loaning me your car," I tell him as we stand in front of the FBI building.

The cold breeze sends shivers down my spine, as a result leading me to rub my palms together in order to keep warm.

"Hey if you need it you need it" Kyle nods.

"I'll pick you up at seven? I should be back by then" I jump into the driver's seat of his car.

"Tell Laura and Ely that I say hi," Kyle tells me, I respond with a cocked brow "....maybe not" he half smiles, with regret in his eyes.

"I'll see you tonight" I start up the engine before driving down the street.

***

Sitting at this desk is nerve-wracking. They could agree or disagree. I haven't been this nervous since my first day on the job.

"Cut to the chase Isla" Laura orders coldly from across the table.

Here it goes. She seems so unnatural calling me by my real name, I can't say I blame her.

"I need two lawyers for two different cases" I start. "I don't care which one of you does what...as long as it's you two"

They're the best lawyers at their firm, and they know me so it'll make this easier. Plus they're already involved with my dangerous life, there's no need to involve other people.

"What makes you think we'll help you?"

"Remember that night in the hospital? You said that we'll always be here for one another" I remind her.

"Yeah well, this is now and that was then"

"Laura" Ely begs.

She rolls her eyes "What are the cases?" Laura folds her arms.

I look my old friend in the eye. She sits with her high blonde ponytail, pencil skirt, white blouse, and black blazer, and gold ring on her finger on her ring finger.

She's all grown up now. Far from that girl who would go on and on about how hot Hank was.

I take a deep breathe. "The first is a murder that took place three months ago. I've caught the real killer and got a confession outta him and obtained footage from a surveillance camera but they still insist that their first suspect did it" I pass them her file slowly.

"So you want one of us to defend the first suspect?" Laura raises a brow.

I respond with a nod "Her name is Marissa Lopez" I start "she's just a regular...absolutely terrified eighteen-year-old girl-"

"Has she ever been in trouble with the law prior to this?" Ely interrupts.

Ely sits tall in his grey Prada suit. His dark eyes glare at me as though glaring into my soul. I don't recognize this man anymore.

I nod hesitantly "She had to do sixteen months of community service after multiple shoplifting and burglary offences-"

"No" Laura shakes her head "I'm not taking my chances with her"

"Please" I beg "this girl has no one....she hasn't had any offences it eighteen months...her mum's dead...And her father is in prison....she's on the straight and narrow" I assure them.

"Well according to this" Laura holds up the file "she is being charged with accessory to murder"

That she didn't do. Laura is just being petty because of our history.

"She's didn't do it, Laura," I tell her "Please don't punish this eighteen-year-old girl because you have something against me-"

"I will do it" Elijah interrupts.