Chapter 23

My phone begins buzzing. I open my eyes to find myself on the floor. Did I roll off the couch? I rub my heavy eyes slowly before sitting up. I think locate my cell phone, that sits beside my feet.

"Hello?" I yawn, sitting up in my plaid pyjama bottoms and a white tank top.

"I had to leave early this morning" Hank starts, "I have Elijah and three of his brothers with me, Audrey is still at the house with Noah and Evelyn"

I furrow my brows. How does he have their names already memorized? Perhaps because he's a teacher?

"Where's um uh...what's his name?" I draw a blank, rubbing my eyes to correct my vision.

"Jacob is a sleep...you both have a free period this morning," he tells me.

Firstly how does he know that I have a free this morning? And how the hell am I getting to school if Hank has the car?

"How will we get to school?" I question, standing up slowly.

The hallways are quiet, but once I make it to the kitchen, I see four-year-old Noah, and baby Evelyn sitting around the kitchen table.

"Take my car" Hank says, "I'm in Elijah's van at the moment"

"Okay, see you later," I nod before ending the phone call.

"Good morning" Audrey greets with a wide smile.

"Good morning" I smile, looking at Noah and Evelyn, who sits around the kitchen table. "Did you guys sleep okay?"

"We slept well thank you," Audrey assures, "and don't worry, the nanny is on her way, she's going to take them home"

Home? But it's not safe. Their a dad is still there.

"Home? But isn't your father-" I immediately protest.

"He's left town" she looks down at the boys.

Thank God.

"Hi" Noah greets me with a bright grin.

"Hi, what do you have there?" I glance at his car figurine, that he holds in his hand while eating his lucky charm cereal.

"Noah use your spoon" Audrey begs.

"My car" Noah holds up his figurine to show me.

He reminds me so much of Brandon. He was obsessed with car figurines, then eventually, his obsession became mine.

"Wow, do you know the make?" I raise a brow curiously.

"No" he shakes his head.

"Hmmm well let me see" I hold my hand out, "may I?"

"Sure" he nods, giving me the figurine carefully.

I then start examining the car slowly.

"It's an American Nostalgia classic, from the nineteen twenties. almost one hundred years old...it's handmade, made of steel...the Width is probably about thirty-five cm, height is approx eleven cm, depth fifteen cm...this car is an antique" my eyes widen.

"Wow" Noah's eyes light up.

"You sure know a lot about cars" Audrey smiles at me.

"Little brothers will do that to you" I blurt out just as Thomas enters the room in his grey T-shirt and blue plaid pyjama bottoms.

Sometimes, I let things slip. I don't mean them too, it just kind of happens.

"Jah um uh" Baby Evelyn points at me.