3. The Birth of Famous Boy - Cora

*Cora*

Elle and I sat eating while I told her about my encounter with famous boy. I left out the part about him being famous; well, I left it out until I had to.

Elle nodded along with everything I told her like a good best friend, not like me who was accidentally zoning out after 10 seconds today. I felt bad about that, but there wasn't much I could do. I wasn't like I was controlling it, it just happened.

"So then I rambled for a minute about what I was going to do to him if he didn't move, but this is me we're talking about, so it made no sense outside of my brain, you know?" I said and stuffed a too large bite of chicken into my cheeks, inadvertently making myself into a chipmunk. Well, I'm sorry for not being a flawless eater ok? I'm human, and I'm a hungry human.

Elle quickly agreed. She better than anyone knew exactly what I was talking about. She was the one person I wasn't afraid to talk to because of my tendency to make a fool of myself when I talked. Also, I tended to ramble on about everything and nothing, not making sense to anyone but myself, so I tried pretty hard to not have to talk to anyone but her.

She must've noticed I'd zoned out again because she raised her eyebrows and said, "Then?"

"Oh, yeah. I clarified. I told him I was gonna take a picture of him and post it everywhere and then announce his presence to the mall. He got up and left real quick. He did grin at me though and..." I gave her the oh my, was it hot look.

Elle shot me that knowing smile that only a best friend can give. "Oh, so he was hot, that what you're saying right? Because if he wasn't hot- wait. Why would he care if you took his picture?"

I smirked and took my time finishing my bite, knowing how much she was going to hate that I kept this vital part of information from her. "Oh, that. Yeah, I suppose you don't know that part. He was famous."

I swore Elle's jaw was going to hit the floor. My smile-moment was long forgotten.

"Famous? What do you mean famous?"

"I mean he was a celebrity was trying his best to not be noticed by anyone. He was succeeding, too."

"Why didn't you say anything? That was a once and a lifetime opportunity, you idiot!" I could tell how badly Elle wanted to scream at me for missing this chance, but I didn't care.

See, that's the thing. I don't really get starstruck. At all. And I'm pretty sure that Elle got my share of it 'cause she goes slightly overboard in my opinion.

I can't explain why I don't get all googly-eyed when celebs come around because I know it doesn't happen that often, but the best guess I could ever give was that I just saw them as normal people who have to put up with the unfortunate occurrence of being surrounded by a lot of people all the time. Sure, it's cool to be with someone who's name was known around the world, but honestly, it's really just not that big of a deal to me. I guess going from basically invisible, to almost popular, and then to social outcast gave me a fractional taste of that popularity and it's no different from the others. If anything, it's just more stressful. There're more names to know, more favors to owe, more pressure to live up to the hype of being the "popular person."

So, yeah. Fame to me wasn't that big of a deal. Celebrities are just people, like me and Elle and everyone else we know.

I realized Elle was actually waiting on an answer. Like she really wanted to know how and why I wouldn't out the poor dude.

"Look, he obviously didn't want to be recognized and I don't care what you say, I respect that. He's a person too, and we all have to have to have down time, right? A time when you can just go chill in a mall. Celebs can't get that very often, so I didn't want to ruin that chance for him." What I'd said was mostly true, but until this second I hadn't realized that giving him a chance to be normal was only half of it.