6. Oh, my GOD! IT'S THEO ARCHER!! - Cora

*Cora*

"C'mon Cora! It's so nice in here!" Elle shouted from the water.

I shouted back that I was perfectly fine where I was: under the umbrella in the shade with my book. It wasn't even eight am and Elle had yet to come out of the water.

She returned with: "You're no fun!"

"I know!" I smiled as I settled back onto my towel, scanning the page I was on to remember where I was.

Elle's phone, which was laying abandoned on her towel, buzzed. Then buzzed again. And again.

Knowing Elle wouldn't bother getting out of the water to check her phone, I did it for her.

It was the Theo newsletter. The winner of the contest had been announced. Now I needed to get Elle.

Ducking out from my safe haven, I jogged to the water and walked in until I was knee deep. She was right: the water did feel incredible.

"Elle!" I called. "Elle!"

She popped up about two inches in front of me and yelled, "Boo!" I screamed and fell over, splashing into the water.

I fought my way to the surface of the water that was now waist deep, spluttering. "Did you know that I hate you?"

"Aww, poor baby. At least you're in the water now. What'd you need anyway?"

I was seriously debating not telling her to get my revenge, but I knew how much she wanted these results. "Oh, nothing much. Just that your phone's blowing up because somebody forgot that today is the day the contest winner is announced."

As soon as the word contest came from my mouth, Elle was starting to sprint towards the beach and our towels. Though, thanks to the water, she was doing more of a slow jog.

I followed her back at a walk and found her pouring herself into her phone.

"Well?" It wasn't necessary to ask. The exact second she read the name, she'd tell me who it was.

Her eyes flicked back and forth, presumably reading something, before she announced who won. "Naomi Watson."

"Oh." I shrugged. I didn't really think either of us was going to win, but I had hoped Elle would anyway. This would've been a literal dream come true for her, like she actually had dreams about things like this. Hey, she talks in her sleep and I'm a light sleeper, remember?

Elle looked deflated and I almost regretted telling her so early in the day, but I knew she would've found out sooner or later.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before I realized I would have to do something kind of drastic if we wanted to succeed in having the amazing beach day we were planning on, so I came up with a plan.

"Elle," I began, and she looked up. "I need your help."

That really got her attention. "Go on," she said, and I could see her excitement coming back.

"Well, I'm sure you agree that I'm not your stereotypical beach girl."

"Duuuh."

"Ouch. You could've at least denied it even if you agreed so I would feel better. I see how it is. Fine." I held up a hand toward her and looked away to shame her.

When I peeked back, she was grinning like an idiot at me and I broke.

"Anyway. For one day I want to be like everyone else. You have to take me shopping." I pointed back to shops behind us. I really didn't want to dress in a bikini and short shorts, but I'd do anything for Elle.