12. Physiques and Disbeliefs - E

*E*

It stressed my brain to come up with a reason why I was such a dick to Luca when Pip asked for one. I didn't want to say that it was because I was jealous even though that's what it was. I hated when she trained her beautiful, big green eyes on him and gave him that one-dimpled smile of hers that could light up Los Angeles all on its own.

Which reminds me, I gotta ask why she only has one.

I trained my thoughts back to the Luca incidents. All over again I got angry when I thought of him drooling over her and her being completely clueless about it. Then her smile and the overly friendly nature didn't help anything. At first, I thought the guy must have nerves of steel to hit on a girl while she was out with another guy, but then it occurred to me that I was at Alfonzo's place and that they knew I wasn't involved. Alfonzo's was more of a home than my house was Luca was part of that home, as much as I don't like that right at this moment.

I trained my thoughts back on Pip who was walking silently beside me. I had her hand in one hand and her bag in the other and I'd never been happier to go on a walk before.

We made idle small talk as we walked through the streets. I'd lived in Los Angeles for the last couple of years, but I never walked anywhere. I took a cab early on and now I drive or take the limo.

I knew Los Angeles was beautiful. You can't live here and not know it, but it was a different kind of beauty when you're walking through it. It moved by slowly and you got to soak it up and see each individual beauty for what it is, whereas when you're driving or riding it flashed by in a brilliant display of fluorescent color.

I decided I like it better this way.

We walked on for miles before I asked Pip just how far we were going.

"Oh. I, uh, I don't actually know." Her face turned the lightest shade of pink.

"You don't know where we're going?" I stopped walking, her hand still in mine causing her to halt with me. I had been letting her lead us and if she didn't know where she was going, we could be in trouble.

My panic must've showed through my voice a little bit because Pip let out a laugh. "No, I know where we're going, I just don't know how far we're going. Big difference. But don't worry, I'll protect you, bad boy Theo," she said. She started to grin but faltered. "No. E, right? You don't like Theo."

I narrowed my eyes and pulled her close, wrapping an arm around her waist. She intoxicated me and I found that I wanted to be near her always. I kept trying to find stupid excuses to touch her through dinner, like happening to reach for the Parmesan cheese at the same time. I don't even like Parmesan cheese on my pizza. Now was no different. I pulled her so close and ducked my head, almost like I was going to kiss her. I stopped short, our lips hovering near each other's. "Don't tease me," I said, lowering my voice for effect. "You'll be biting off more than you can chew, Pip."

Pip wasn't nearly as affected as I would've imagined and batted her eyelashes. "Ah, but E. I'm not supposed to bite, am I?"

I felt my eyes widen, lips tip up into a smile, and blood start to rush somewhere, all in complete and utter surprise, as I trailed my eyes to her lips and back up to her eyes slowly. I found myself liking the height difference between her and I. Every other girl that tried to get with me was tall and tan or wearing giant heels and tan. Either way, this short, terribly pale girl wearing sneakers in front of me was a completely new concept for me. She was both terrifying and alluring to me.

She tried shoving me playfully away, but she stood no chance. She was strong, sure, but against me, the attempt was laughable. Not in a mean way, but I'm a trained fighter that stood well over a foot taller than her. It was science.