37. Bride, Groom, or Jealousy? - Cora

*Cora*

I was terrified for my date tonight. Not like in the "oh, my God, he could be a serial killer" terrified, but in the "oh, my God, I totally like someone else and now I'm going on a date with this guy" terrified. I knew I shouldn't have made this date with Luca yesterday, but after having been rejected by E, I wanted to show him what he was missing, even though I knew he already knew.

I rolled my eyes at myself in the bathroom mirror while I swiped some mascara on. I was a serious idiot. Not only was I sore as hell from training yesterday, but now I had to try and act normal while being this sore.

On the plus side though, E was a really good teacher and we'd agreed that he would keep teaching me self-defense. Just in case.

I'd actually stayed at his and Jay's house last night. We'd trained for a few hours in the afternoon and then had decided to watch a couple movies and by the time we were done, E had said he was too lazy to drive me home so I was just going to have to stay there.

He'd tried to give me his room, but I had already been comfy on the couch, so I had waved him sleepily away and immediately fell asleep.

That didn't stop me from waking up in his room though and smacking him when I'd finally found my way to him this morning for carrying me to his room.

Despite all that, though, just being able to be in a house that felt like a home, even if it wasn't my home was incredibly comforting. I hadn't slept that well since the night E had stayed with me. I had a mental note to pull more sleepovers at his house at any time possible.

I picked up my phone to see a "here" text from Luca. It was 1:45, the agreed upon time for him to pick me up. It seemed like a strange time to me, but I guess he had a time-sensitive date planned.

Looking in my full-length mirror one last time, I nodded in approval. After giving Luca my number last night at Alfonzo's, he'd texted me saying to dress fancy for the date, and here I am.

I was wearing a pair of tall, but comfortable heels that Elle had made me practice walking in and the stupid-expensive halter dress I'd gotten a few weeks ago from La Vie and had curled my hair and done my makeup carefully.

I thought I looked good, so I was prepared for whatever it was Luca had planned. I shot him a "coming" text and made my way carefully down the stairs so as to not break an ankle.

I made my way downstairs and turned to lock the door behind me. I heard a suggestive whistle from behind me and felt a pair of hands on my waist before I could turn around. "Get off!" I cried while trying to elbow the person. It wasn't easy to execute one of the maneuvers Theo had taught me in a dress and heels.

"Hey! Hey! Chill! Just me, Cora!" The hands loosened on my hips but didn't altogether let go.

I spun in the hands of my captor at the familiar voice. "Luca! Don't do that! You could've been anyone!"

He just gave me a wolf grin and rolled his eyes. "Who were you expecting? The mafia?"

I almost choked but kept my face clear.

He had no idea.

"Ha ha. Very funny," I managed. "Actually, I'm just a cute, young girl in Los Angeles who's in the prime position to be abducted." I put my hands defiantly on my hips, but, having completely forgot his were still there, ended up putting my hands directly on his.

I was too embarrassed to even blush, and out of stubborn mortification, I didn't move my hands. I just stared awkwardly and defiantly up at him. Thanks to my heels though, I didn't have to crank my neck.