23. Casual, But Really Good - Cora

*Cora*

I woke up with Elle's hand on my face. I grinned, wondering when I'd get used to that.

I actually felt refreshed and relaxed after what was apparently a good night's sleep, but I couldn't get rid of the feeling that something had recently gone wrong. Then I remember last night.

I sighed heavily and flipped over to grab my phone. I hadn't checked to see if E had responded and I figured now would be a good time.

I assumed that he'd have sent something along the lines of accepting my text and agreeing to grab my stuff. I was not expecting, however, to have 19 new messages and 12 missed calls.

My mouth fell open and I immediately started skimming through the texts. All showed various states of panic and worry:

pip you around somewhere?

where are you?

cora are you ok?

CORA

I scrolled through the rest of the messages, completely perplexed, before I found the cause of my text bombing. My message explaining everything never sent, and with everything that happened after, I never bothered to check.

I muttered a word I would never admit to saying later and rolled out of the warm depths of my bed.

As a slouched my way to the kitchen, I hit the 'call' button, preparing myself for anything.

"Cora?!" E's voice exploded from the phone. "Cora! Areyouokareyouhurtpleasetellmeyou'reok." I yanked the phone away from my ear, cringing and worrying that he might have just destroyed my ears.

"E!" I said into the phone, but he didn't seem to hear me and kept spewing questions at me. "Theo!" I shouted and this time he fell silent. "I'm ok. No, really. I'm fine. I sent you a text last night at the beach saying Elle was taking me home, but it never went through. I should've checked to make sure you got it and stuff, but Elle and I had a fight and we ran into some problems on the way home and I just completely forgot. I'm sorry."

I could practically hear the tension fade out of him as he gave a huge sigh. "It's ok, Pip. I was just worried. I couldn't even sleep last night. What problems? And I didn't think you and Elle fought."

I dropped my head into my free hand. "Long story. We don't. And we made up. Now what do you mean you didn't sleep last night?"

I could imagine him on the other end, pacing and narrowing his eyes at my evasion of his questions, but he let it slide. "I couldn't. I was worried. If something had happened to you because of me..." He let his voice trail off, but I knew what he was thinking: he would've been forever blaming himself for it.

"I know, E, I know, but the tournament. You should be rested for it and now, because of me, you haven't even slept." I was seriously starting to stress over this tournament. It was practically all he'd talk about the last week and he always reminded me of an overexcited puppy when it was brought up. To be honest, it was adorable.

"Pip, there's something you should know about this tournament," E said slowly. "I don't care about it. At least, I don't when you could be in trouble."

I shook my head, but I couldn't control the grin that took control of my lips. "As sweet as that is, Theo Archer, no. I know you and Jay have been training for this tournament for ages and you're not gonna screw it up on account of me."

"It'd be worth it," he said, but I could tell he was smiling beneath the words. He knew I was right.

I glanced at the clock: 11:41. "You know I'm right. Now, go take a nap and I'll see you here at 6." We'd arranged earlier in the week that we'd go out to dinner, the four of us, and then head to the match.