42. Fear and Water - E

*E*

Gone. She was gone.

Daniel and Jay had been forced to physically restrain me from doing something stupid as we saw them get pushed by us. After all, Daniel had explained quickly, this was a gang thing, not a random kidnapping, so we needed a plan.

I can't believe that Daniel had been right. He'd come to me before the match and warned me about the Brothers having made an appearance and how Cora was in danger if they put two and two together that she was his sister which wouldn't be that hard. I had been off the whole match, watching Cora just in case and Jay had me down in the first round. Given what had happened, I didn't really care about the tournament much. Then I had to watch as Pip, my Pip, was pushed by knifepoint out of the Dome and to God knows where.

Now, here I was, sitting in the backseat of his BMW, listening to him as he drove. He was well above the speed limit, but it wasn't even close to being fast enough in my opinion.

"Alright, we're headed to the Brothers' headquarters which means we need to be careful. They have weapons, so this probably won't end pretty," he was saying.

"Hang on," Jay interrupted. "What's actually happening? Why were Elle and C kidnapped? Why does it seem like you guys know each other? Did I miss something? Because I don't know what's going on. My girlfriend was kidnapped and now I'm going to rescue her and her best friend, but I don't know who they were kidnapped by or even why they were kidnapped. Can someone please tell me what's going on?"

I'd completely forgotten that he didn't know anything about anything that was happening in me, Cora, and Daniel's lives. "Yeah, Jay, we got you. Daniel, you know it better can you tell him what's going on?"

Daniel nodded. "Fine. I don't like it, but it doesn't matter anymore, you're involved whether I like it or not," he paused and then looked at Jay. "Wait, did Sebastian just call you Jay?"

I blinked. Daniel still didn't know who we actually were.

Holy fuck was this all messed up. Before Jay could say anything, I stepped in. "Look, Daniel. If we're keeping your secret, you're keeping ours. My real name is Theo Archer. I'm the singer you've probably heard about and this is Jayden Cohler, the drummer. We're famous, but we attend school and fight under our aliases Sebastian and Will to avoid problems. Make sense?"

Daniel was quiet for a minute. "You guys are famous?"

"Yeah. The way we act around the other fighters isn't actually who we are, we just pretend so we fit in," I explained shortly and looked at Jay for reassurance and was happy to see him nodding along.

I saw Daniel nod. "I'm accepting that for now, but we're talking this out later alright? We don't have time now, but I really want to understand what the hell you're talking about."

I agreed and he continued. "Anyway, there really isn't a strategy for getting into this place, just follow me and for the love of God, be careful. Cora really likes you, Seb—Theo, so I don't need her to have another person she cares about die because of this gang. You got it?"

I swallowed. "Got it."

"And you," Daniel continued, looking at Jay. "I don't know you, but if you're Elle's boyfriend, then you've got to be careful too. Elle's a good girl and she deserves someone that cares for her."

Jay nodded and the rest of the ride was spent in a strained silence.

After about a thousand years, Daniel pulled the car to a stop. He turned in his seat to look at both Jay and I in turn. "Seriously, stay close to me. I know you guys are good fighters, but we don't need any extra, unnecessary injuries. Don't stray, watch each other's sixes, and if anyone talks to us, stay quiet, I'll do the talking."