20. Empathy, But Really Selfishness - E

*E*

I surfaced beside Pip, facing away from the beach, but that changed quickly when I saw the look on her face.

"Daniel."

I spun around to catch a glimpse of an almost familiar tall figure disappearing into the small crowds of people down further on the beach.

Turning back to Pip, I realized I knew that name. Daniel was the guy, whoever he was, that had caused Cora, my Cora, an indescribable pain. I already didn't like him.

Pip's face was as white as paper except for two bright pink spots on the tops of her cheekbones. She looked about ready to pass out.

"Pip?" I asked softly. When she didn't reply I tried again a little louder. "Pip?" Still nothing. I tried even louder. "Cora."

She looked at me and I saw a Cora that wasn't the Cora I knew looking at me. Her normally bright and beautiful green eyes were dark and haunted, widened ever-so-slightly. She seemed both younger and older, almost like she was feeling the pain as though it happened yesterday and also like she felt the pain at such a distance that it had happened many decades ago.

She stared at me but wasn't really seeing me. She was seeing—"Daniel," she choked out again and this time she collapsed forward into my arms.

She buried her face into my chest and I gently lifted her, holding her bridal style. I carried her up to our towels and sat down, settling her on my lap. I would've set her on her own towel, but her hands were firm around the back of my neck, and I didn't want to be that far away from her. Plus, despite the situation, I couldn't deny enjoying the close contact between us.

She pulled her arms away from my neck and rested her forehead against my chest. Tears were dripping freely onto me, but I didn't care. Pip was unhappy and I had to fix that.

"Pip," I said softly after she quieted a bit. "Who's Daniel?"

She picked her head up off of my chest and met my eyes. "My brother." Her voice was quiet and steady, but I could hear the pain in it.

That shut me up for a minute. I hadn't known Pip had a brother; she'd never mentioned him in all the times we've talked. A brother? How he had caused her such tremendous pain was beyond me. Weren't brothers supposed to be supporting and love you no matter what?

Like Jay does for me?

I looked up at the place Daniel had disappeared to for a minute, thinking. When I looked back down, Pip was still looking at me.

"Pip," I began, but stopped. I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know if there was something for me to say. I didn't want to ask her what happened because I didn't want to refresh the pain still so evident in her voice, but I did want to know.

She laid her head back on my chest in a manner that said she was exhausted. I wrapped my arms protectively around her and held her tightly against myself. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

This girl had a knack for surprising me, that's for sure.

I pulled back from her slightly and looked down at her. She didn't meet my eyes.

Nudging her chin up with my hand, I said, "Pip, no. You have nothing to be sorry for. This Daniel guy—your brother—made a big ass mistake when he hurt you. I don't know what he did, but he's the one that should be apologizing."

Cora took a deep, shuddering breath. "I know, but I'm still sorry for ruining tonight."

I frowned. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't tell her that she hadn't ruined it. What she didn't know is that no night of mine could be ruined if she was with me. She could be throwing up and feverish and I wouldn't care as long as I was there. She made me happy and made me forget who I was. I'm not Theo Archer when I'm with her. I'm simply E and I happen to like that a lot better.