11. CIA Spy Kind of Stuff- Cora

*Cora*

It took a few minutes for Theo to open up about Naomi. He kept shifting and filling his mouth with pizza and I just sat, watching. It was extremely entertaining to see him so uncomfortable.

In all the interviews I'd seen with him, Theo never seemed this disgruntled or put off or anything, in fact he never seemed disgruntled at all, ever. He was always just cool and sexy with that signature smirk that never seemed to leave his face.

Not that I thought he was sexy at all... nope.

Also, I didn't usually watch the interviews voluntarily. Most often, the interviews I saw were on Elle's phone as she shoved it under my nose, intent that I see Theo Archer at his hottest moments.

Theo cleared his through and I zeroed back in on him. "Naomi," he began, hesitantly, "as you know, won the contest, but the thing is, I'd never agreed to the contest. Lacey set it up without ever getting me to sign off on it. Now, I love Lacey, she's awesome, but she also cares sometimes more about selling my music than she does about me."

I looked at him, confused. Why would he still go through it, if he never agreed to doing it at all? I was so curious that I asked him just that.

His face scrunched up adorably. "See, I may have to keep the image of being a dick, but that doesn't mean I always have to act like one. Sure, blowing it off probably would've helped that image, but the last thing I want is to hurt my fans. Even if it's fans like Naomi. I guess that's really why I hate the image. I don't care what the people think of me, but if it hurts those people that have helped to get me this far, I don't really want any part of it."

I nodded, listening intently. He was painting himself differently from everything I'd ever heard about him before, but maybe that was part of it—the image. Maybe this was how he got all the girls, but I didn't think so. All those years of watching people with my dad, I got pretty good at judging people and I could usually tell when someone was lying to me and what lines they were thinking along. As I watched Theo's eyes, I could tell that this was something he wasn't used to sharing and something he'd only told a few people, if any at all.

So far, he was living up to the proving it thing, but we'd have to see how he did when the memory of that promise was forgotten.

When he saw that I understood, he continued, "I told you why I can't really drop the image now." He looked at me meaningfully.

"No one would believe that this 'new image' is actually who you are," I filled in, knowing that he wanted me to say it so he knew I was following. "And if you cleaned up the image, album sales would drop horribly."

"Right. As conceited as that sounds. So with Naomi, I had to seriously fake being a complete dick. If she saw me be a decent guy and told people, especially with the following she's gained being the winner, everything I've had to put up with the last two years could go to Hell. I couldn't risk everything for a contest I didn't even agree to and a girl I don't care about," he finished. Once again, I got the feeling he looked relieved to be rid of something. Yet, what he just said didn't add up.

"You're a decent guy with me," I pointed out. "I know I said I wouldn't blab, but you trust that?"

A wry grin hit his lips. "Normally? Hell no. But from you? Yeah I believe it."

"Why?"

He shrugged and ran a hand through his hair. "It's gonna sound painfully cliché, but because you're different."

I smiled. "You're right. That is painfully cliché."

He returned my smile. "Is what it is. I've known you're different since I met you. You didn't give a shit that I was famous besides knowing you could use it to blackmail me into getting up." My cheeks grew hot and when he noticed his smile got bigger. "Not saying it was right, but I will admit two things: first, I did break the courtesy rules and second, it was a good way to get my attention."