4. The Birth of Pip - E

*E*

I sat on my phone, still doing nothing on it. I was just trying to look busy, but my brain wasn't having it and I kept finding myself looking back towards the small girl I'd just met. Knowing I wasn't going to succeed at playing on my phone, I watched Pip and her friend for a while. I realized giving a girl I'd met once for a few minutes a nickname is pretty weird, but I didn't know her name and the fact that she was tiny had me calling her "Pipsqueak" in my head. After a bit though, that didn't really seem to fit her, so it got shortened to "Pip."

Their conversation looked interesting and the closer I looked, the more it seemed that they were in deep conversation. I was too far away to hear what they were saying exactly, but they were both really into it. Pip kept smiling and gesturing with her hands and her friend was constantly leaning forward like she was seriously into whatever Pip was saying.

At one point, Pip shoved a giant bite of food into her mouth and I couldn't help but laugh at how cute she was. She honestly looked she was doing her best to impersonate a squirrel or something.

Not long after that, they were up and headed towards the trash. I watched them trying my best not to come off creepy as they stopped at the bathrooms. Pip leaned back against the wall and started to look around as her friend disappeared inside. I know I'd only met her once for like two minutes, but I could only imagine what was going on in that head of hers.

I returned my gaze to my phone, determined not to be that creepy, weird guy that stared down girls in the mall food court. Might ruin that nice guy image I have going for me. Heh.

I got that feeling that someone was watching me and turned just in time to see Pip staring at me. I grinned. For no reason, the thought of her looking at me just pleased me. I fixed my expression quickly, but not before I saw the look on her face that told me she saw it. I raised my hand in a sorta sarcastic wave and saw her do the same.

I saw her take a step and instantly I was close to getting up and meeting her in the middle but had to put on the brakes when her friend walked out of the bathroom and rejoined her.

So instead, I slumped down further into my seat and turned back to my phone.

While I was busy trying to make a fool out of myself, Lacey had called me twice and sent me five texts.

I shook my head. She knew I always had my phone on me and thus came to the conclusion that I would always answer every single call and respond to the first text. I left my phone in my car one time and was reprimanded so forcefully that I made sure it was on me before I went anywhere.

I could only imagine what she was thinking now. I didn't tell her where I was going, or even that I was going. I'd also slipped my bodyguards and left them at home without a clue where I was going. Oooooh, she's gonna be so pissed at me.

I read through her texts. Every single one had more than two exclamation points and most has quite explicit swear words used in extremely creative ways.

I grimaced as I decided to call her back. It really was the least I could do. She picked up on the first ring.

"Theo. Where are you?" she demanded. Woo, not even a hi. I did it this time.

"Lace, hi. Glad to hear from you too," I muttered, scratching my head through my hood. "Look, sorry about not calling, but I got caught up and didn't feel my phone buzz."

"You got... Caught. Up?" I could hear her anxiety and dipped my head in shame even though she couldn't see me. "You think that's an excuse?"

"No, I don't, Lace. You gotta understand though. I love you for helping me out and looking out for me, but I'm old enough to come out on my own. I can handle it, really." I felt a little bit bad, but I needed alone time away from my house and if she knew where I was going, it would've never happened.