39. Curbside Pickup - E

*E*

We'd just gotten home after dropping Elle off and I was pissed beyond possibility.

Not only was she not just not having a bad time, but she was having fun with that dickhead.

Ohhh, I needed to hit something. I needed to train.

I couldn't watch Pip, my Pip, go on dates! Not when I was the one that was in love with her!

I dead stopped in my tracks.

Did I just—?

I turned from the basement door and slowly started upstairs in some state of shock. I hadn't thought of it before now, but it was true.

I love Cora.

Holy. Shit.

I wasn't mad at her, like I'd thought. I was absolutely pissed because of her. I was in love with the girl and I couldn't do thing one about it.

Not only that, but they're my own feelings and I was surprised by them. Now, that's an achievement.

I flopped down on my bed, ready to just pass out and forget the world for a few hours, when my phone started its incessant buzzing in my pocket.

I groaned and pulled it out, ready to give Lacey a piece of my mind. She'd started calling at all hours, trying to get me back into the studio to work and record new music, but I just kept putting it off.

Before, singing was something I loved to do, just 'cause, but now after having one, I realized it wasn't much fun when there wasn't someone to sing for.

I did a double take when I read the name on the screen though. It wasn't Lacey calling; it was my Pip.

I immediately sat up, wide awake. What had happened? Had dickhead Luca tried something? Was she in trouble?"

I answered the call. "Pip, what's wrong?"

Her voice was shaky on the other end. "Hi. I'm ok, but can I stay with you tonight?"

"Of course," I responded instantly, striding to the stairs. "I'm leaving now, should be there soon. What happened? Did Luca—" I cut off. I couldn't even finish that sentence.

Pip let out a strained chuckle. "No, it wasn't Luca. It's a long story, but short version is that my parents were home when he dropped me off and they think I'm 'pulling a Daniel' and that I'm gonna disappear and die mysteriously now. I told them I wasn't staying at home and now I'm sat on the curb a few blocks away with a packed duffel bag."

I started my Audi and swung out of the driveway before I responded. When I did my voice was quiet, "Cora, are you alright?" I wasn't worried for her physical safety so much right now, but being compared to her brother like that, especially by her parents, could absolutely kill her from the inside.

She sighed gently on the other end of the line. "Yes. I actually am. I know that sounds like a lie, but it's not. I mean, I might not have been, but I have you and Elle and Jay. I know you guys and I know you guys are safe and will keep me safe. I know Mom and Dad are wrong about me, but I also know that their minds are set and won't change. Which brings me to a question I have for you..."

The apprehension in her voice about killed me. "Pip, you know you can ask me anything. I'll help you however I can, as much as I can, as often as I can." ...Because I'm utterly in love with you.

Oh, I was going to have to be careful with that particular piece of information.

"I know..." she said. "I just don't want to be... in the way or an inconvenience or anything."