22. The So-Called Fun of a Bad Parent - Cora

*Cora*

I debated what to do as I leaned against the back bumper of E's car. I wasn't sure how long he was going to be and there was nothing I could do about it without revealing everything to the public.

I looked around, trying to seem inconspicuous in case anyone was looking. E had parked next to a currently closed ice cream shop and there was a flower planter at the back corner of it, not far from where I was.

Perfect.

I clambered into the small space in between the building and planter, thanking any deity up there that I was so small.

I looked down at my phone after getting comfortable and, after a moment's decision, unlocked it to call Elle. If anyone, it would be her that could help me.

My fingers flew through the screen and soon enough- "Cora? What the hell girl?"

"Elle-"

"No. Me first," she ordered. "Why are you not home and why are you calling me at 11:30 at night? You don't go out past 10 when you're by yourself, and- no, actually- you don't go out by yourself period. What gives?"

I dropped my head into my hand. "Elle. It's a long story. Yes, Theo's involved and yes, I need your help because of him."

Elle choked on her end of the phone. "You're with Theo again?"

I nodded and then remembered she couldn't see me. "Yeah."

Suddenly, worried, best friend Elle was gone and focused, fangirl Elle was speaking to me. "Alright. What's the situation?"

Briefly, I explained the past few hours to her, leaving out the kiss and Daniel. I wasn't in the mood for squealing and screaming and I knew I was going to tell her later anyway.

Elle was silent for a bit after my explanation and I knew she was doing her thinking nod. "So you can't just go up to him and yank him away, right?"

"Uh huh."

"But you don't have proper clothes, right? God, I still can't believe he bought you a bikini. I mean that's just so-"

"Elle!" I interrupted. "Not the time. No, I don't have proper clothes. Now, what do I do?"

"Well to start, you have to get your clothes back."

"I- what?" There was no part of me that had any wish to go delve back into the malicious hordes again.

I shuddered as I thought of his screaming fans running at us. They had to have seen us kissing. What would they say happened? What would he say?

"-tell him what happened," Elle said and I mentally screamed at myself. Now wasn't the time to be distracted.

"Wait. Wait! Say that again, I tuned out again."

I closed my eyes and imagined her exasperated face as she said, "Really, Cora? Damn, girl. Get a grip. I said, 'You need to get your clothes back and then find a way to tell him what happened.'"

I nodded. "Right."

There was a silence and I glanced around my hidey-hole.

"And how do I do that exactly?" I asked my best friend.

I could hear her thinking. "Well you both have your phones on you, right?"

I told her we did.

Elle paused for a second and I could feel her grinning at me through the phone. "Perfect. You're gonna text him. Look, I'm not leaving you stranded there by yourself. I'm gonna come and pick you up, alright? Go get your clothes and any of your stuff that you left on the beach with Theo. Text me when you get it and I'll head out to get you. Then you can send him a text explaining what happened and why you're gone."