↳ Chapter Eight

The door swings open with a jolly middle aged man. "Mija, I'm home!" My father shouts as he entered the trailer. He tosses his duffel bag full of laundry I needed to do onto the kitchen table and turns around to see us three serpents surrounding his daughter. "What's going on?"

"Sir, I want to reassure you she's safe now." Fangs stood up walking over to my fathers direction.

"I said, what the hell is going on?" My father repeated once again with anger clearly shown in his voice.

"Sir, it's okay. Sweet Pea and Fangs scared the-" Toni spoke before I cut her off.

"Him away. Apá, it was just some robber trying to steal a few things. I'm okay now." I wipe away the few tears that strayed on my face and pulled on the best smile I can.

The three serpents looked at me in confusion. How is this girl, who was crying a river, suddenly okay now?

"Are you sure, we can call sheriff Keller? I think-" My father pulls out his phone.

"No! It's okay, he didn't manage to steal anything thanks to my friends here." I refer to Sweet Pea and Fangs who stood there with their hands by their sides.

"Well thank you both so much, if there's anything I can do let me know! I don't know how I can ever repay you..." my father wandered off.

"Sweet Pea." Sweet Pea stood up and stuck out his hand to shake my fathers, "And this is Fangs Fogarty."

"And this is Toni" I refer to the girl who was now standing next to me.

My father shook their hands proudly, "Thank you boys, Toni, would you three like to stay over for dinner?"

"We actually don't have groceries" I speak up fumbling with my hands, I don't like asking my father for money during times like these. We've been having financial issues for a few months now.

"Then how about we all got to Pops? My treat!"

"We actually have to get going, but thank you for the invite Mr. Pierce. It was nice meeting you!" Toni and Fangs waved goodbye as they walked out the door. Sweet Pea stood next to me unsure of what to do next.

"Don't hold out on my yet boy" My father insists raising his left eyebrow at six foot boy who stood across him.

"Of course not, sir." Sweet Pea reassures my father.

-

The three of us sat in a empty booth, next to a large window. Sweet Pea sat across my father and I. Pop Tate walks over handing us menus, "Can I get you three anything to drink?"

"Two vanilla milkshakes," Sweet Pea orders our drinks for him and I.

"I'll take one as well." My father adds on just before Pop Tate walks off to serve our drinks. "So, I'm assuming you two have been here together before?"

"Yes. I needed a ride home and Sweet Pea offered, yet before he took me home he suggested we grab a bite to eat." I smile referring to the boy who sat across me. I feared telling my father the truth, so I didn't completely lie. I just didn't mention we were at the drag race.