Chapter 8 - Christmas

Snape's eyes widened.

No...

"Get dressed" he said, making sure he said it slow enough so Harry could read his lips before he left to get dressed as well.

He met Harry in the living room, and Snape took his hand, hurrying him to the Great Hall, knowing the Headmaster would be there.

Snape stormed in with Harry, capturing the attention of the people at the tables.

Dumbledore looked up curiously, as did Lupin.

"Severus? Wha-"

"He's deaf."

Silence fell.

"Deaf...?" Lupin asked quietly, and Snape nodded.

"This morning. He fell off his bed, so I went to check on him, and he said he couldn't hear."

Dumbledore looked surprised, and Snape heard someone approaching, but didn't bother to turn to see.

"Headmaster, there must be something we can do!"

"I'm sorry Severus, but I don't think we are able to do anything for him."

Severus ran a hand through his hair, unsure of what to do.

"Professor..?" He heard Draco say quietly, and he turned around to face him.

"Harry has gone deaf."

Draco stared in shock.

"Completely..?"

Severus nods.

Draco looks to Harry, who has his head low.

Draco immediately went to him and wrapped his arms around him in a tight hug.

They had just become friends... And now he was deaf....

Harry pushed himself away a little, head still low as he wrapped his arms around himself.

He felt so vulnerable... So.. Weak..

Harry Potter wasn't weak.

Harry sighed sadly, and the staff and Draco watched him sympathetically.

"Professor Snape..?"

"Yes Draco?"

"Could I.. Um.. Could I sit with Harry and Granger from now on..? Since Weasley is spreading rumors and stuff and we're kind of the only friends he's got..."

Snape thinks for a moment before nodding with a gentle smile. "Yes, of course. I don't see any reason why not."

Draco beams, then turns to Harry, getting his attention before speaking slowly.

"Snape says I can sit with you and Granger at meals."

Harry smiled happily.

"Oh, that reminds me. Third years get to go to Hogsmeade, right?" Lupin says, and Snape nods. "I should probably sign Harry's fourm..."

Lupin nods in silent agreement, and he gestures Draco and Harry to sit down at the Gryffindor table.

He noticed that Ron shot a death glare to Harry as they sat down and said something to him, but of course, Harry didn't hear.

Draco snarled something back, causing Ron to fall silent, his face as red as his hair as Hermione watched with slight amusement.

Snape left before breakfast was over, trusting Remus to break up any fights between Weasley and Malfoy.