Chapter 13 - Reborn

Weeks passed, and Harry still hadn't changed back.

He was still - oddly enough - attatched to Severus though.

Severus spent those days, teaching his classes with a Phoenix on his shoulder.

The first day the class saw this, they were shocked, to say the least. After all, who - animal nor human - would want to hang around Snape?

But alas, a Phoenix did.

He provided his tears, and aid in potions.

If he noticed a student was about to add something wrong into a potion, he would get Severus's attention towards the student.

If he noticed a student bullying someone, he would fly over and sit on their head, and Severus would give them a detention.

He was a huge help, though Severus did miss their evening talks.

He was beginning to grow lonesome, talking to the Phoenix every night before bed, stroking its feathers gently as he does.

Would Harry ever return back to normal..?

Severus sat in Dumbledore's office, Harry on his shoulder, Remus beside him.

"Harry, would you come here please?"

Harry flew over, landing on his desk in front of him, looking up to him.

"Why don't you turn back to yourself?" He asks, and Harry looks down, shrugging a little.

Well, shrugging as much as a bird was able to.

"Everyone is worried that you're not able to. Could you change back? At least for Severus."

The Phoenix sat down and a moment later Harry changed back to himself, Severus and Lupin sighing with relief.

"Why didn't you want to change back?" Dumbledore asks gently, watching Harry as he kicked his feet back and forth nervously.

"It hurt..." Harry mumbles.

"Hurt?" Lupin asks quietly.

Harry nods in return. "When I changed into a Phoenix my scar didn't hurt anymore.. I.." He lowered his head a little more. "I didn't.. Want it to hurt... Because the potions weren't working.."

Dumbledore sighs softly.

"Harry, that was a dangerous thing to do." Lupin scolds, and Harry looks down even more. "I'm sorry..."

"Remus is correct. That was very dangerous." Dumbledore agrees. "When someone stays in their animagus form for too long, they begin to inherit traits from the animal they are. Some end up not being able to change back."

Harry looked over to him in surprise. "Can't change back...?"

Dumbledore nods. "And that is why it is crucial for you to take breaks from being in your animagus form. There are dangers that come with such a talent, especially at your age."

Harry nods a little. "I'm sorry.."

Lupin smiles gently. "You don't need to be sorry, cub. Just try not to do that so much that it worries us." He smiles gently.

"Do you know someone like that..?" Harry asked quietly.

"Like what?" Lupin asks, confused.

"You know.. Like.. How they've been in their form too long and now they act like it..."

Lupin smiles a bit. "As a matter of fact I do."

"Really?" Harry asks, interested, earning a nod. "His animagus is a dog. He's spent a long time in that form, and now when he's a human, he's more dog-like. Long, shaggy hair, his laughs sound more like barks.. It's odd, but I've gotten used to it."

"Sirius?" Dumbledore asks, and Lupin nods. "Where..?"

"A small cave nearby, but not close enough for the dementors to detect him. Near Hogsmeade. I found him in Hogsmeade near the beginning of the year and convinced him to reside there until the drama dies down."

"Hm.. Good idea. I do hope the dementors don't notice him."

"As do I." Lupin sighs softly. "I worry for him.. He wants to meet Harry, but I'm afraid his appearance is rather... Unnerving, to say the least."

"To be expected." Dumbledore says. "You may take Harry to meet him on the Homemade trip. If you spend a bit longer there than the others it's alright, don't worry about it."

Lupin nods with a smile. "Should I send him a letter to inform him?"

"Leave it as a surprise. And I'll make sure the house elves stock you with plenty of food for him. I'm sure he's extremely hungry." Lupin nods. "He nearly tore apart the chicken I snuck him last time I visited.. I'm upset that I can't do any more for him.."

"I'm sure he understands, Remus. You have done what you can." Dumbledore says gently.

"Remus, I was curious.." Snape began slowly, gaining everyone's attention. "Would you consider yourself close with Black?"

Lupin's face immediately turned a light shade pink. "Whatever do you mean Severus..?" He asked nervously.

"You know what I mean." Snape sighs. "I'm not against it. Simply curious."

Lupin looks down a bit. "Yes.. I- Well, we are.."

Severus nods a bit. "When will you leave to visit him?"

"Whenever the next Hogsmeade trip is." Lupin says.

"That's in a few days." Severus informs, standing up and motioning for Harry to follow him. "Very well. I must talk to Harry privately before bed, so we bid you both good night. And Remus, I will have your next Wolfsbane potion ready by the end of the week so don't forget that."

"Thank you, I'll stop by on Saturday. Goodnight Severus. Goodnight Cub." Lupin smiles, earning a hug from Harry before the two left, Severus picking Harry up as they left.

As Severus headed towards the dungeons, Harry in his arms, he talked to him gently. "Now, I want to remind you not to frighten me so. I was worried you would be stuck as a Phoenix forever."

"Sorry dad.."

"It's alright. As long as you are okay."

Silence followed as they walked before suddenly Harry shouted, "Draco!!"

Draco had been walking towards the Slytherin common room, and he turns around, grinning widely. "Harry!"

Severus put Harry down and Harry ran to Draco, hugging him tightly. "You've been gone for so long! I was scared you'd died since Snape wouldn't talk about it!"

"Yeah.. I'm sorry for scaring you all.." Harry says sadly, pulling away after a bit, and Draco smiles. "That's alright. You're okay, so that's all that matters, right?"

Harry smiles a bit, hugging Draco again before going back to Snape and holding his arms up.

Getting the hint, Severus picked him up again, holding him carefully.

"Dad wants to talk to me, so I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast, Draco. Bye!" Harry smiles, waving as Severus makes his way to their corridors, leaving Draco to go to the common room.