Chapter XIX

THE RIDE IS very smooth and peaceful

THE RIDE IS very smooth and peaceful. I almost seem to doze off but my brain triggers something which forces me to stay awake. Suddenly we are thrown out of the smooth ride as every thing shift forward. Some troopers stumble by luckily I was standing in a wide stance which stopped me from embarrassing myself like some of the unlucky few. I feel the shuttle slow as our decent into the atmosphere begins. The ship rocks side to side as objects tumble from their places on the wall. It feels like forever when finally the ships motion stops.
    We have landed. With a hiss and the sound of locks being clanked open. The ramp door opens. A few troopers march out, weapons not draw in attack position meaning we have not located the base yet so there is no need for fighting. The cloak man steps out next flanked by two troopers. I assume that some how he is in charge or at least equal to General Hux.
    I begin to step forward but Phasma  sticks an arm out holding me back. I turn towards her.
   "Salina you must remember this. Be smart. I know that your enhancement will take care of you but your are still human and some choices humans make can lead to disaster. Asses the situation then act." I almost feel genuine concern from her warning but I know that all she really cares about is I don't fail. That I don't destroy all her hard work.
    "I will not fail my captain or the First Order." I raise my arm in salute to make my statement more effective.
    Without a word Phasma walks down the ramp and I follow her closely.
At first I am blinded by the sun. But my vision comes back to me as my helmet blocks most of the suns rays. I blink a few times as I turn my head around. All I see is sand. Sand, sand and more sand.
I quickly switch my brain to start assessing the terrain and figure out the advantages and disadvantages of fighting in sand. All I can list, though, are disadvantages after disadvantages.
Sand is lose therefore making it hard to move quick. No shelter. And The storm troopers white armor sticks out against the sand like a sore thumb. Thankfully for me my red armor perfectly blends in with the yellowish red sand that covers Jeddah.
   A couple of the Storm trooper cargo ships have landed and troopers are already piling out.
I walk over to Phasma as she begins to assign scoping groups. Placing well trained troopers in charge of each group. Three to four troopers are in each group. I wait expectingly for my assigned group but she never points to me. Once all the groups are made she turns to me.
   "SN I assume you can manage by yourself?"
   "Yes Captain." I can feel all eyes one me and the burning question each trooper thinks. Who is that? Why does she not have a group?
   I ignore the stares as I begin to scope the area. I watch as Phasma walks towards the cloaked man. "Lord Ren, we will inform you when the base is found. We will strike at night and ketch them off guard."
   "Good. I trust your troopers will not disappoint me." The mans voice comes out mechanical and distraught. I am taken back as I soon realize that isn't his regular voice. The mask causes the change. Ren? Why does that sound familiar? I try to look through my memories to find out why his name rings a bell.
   My eyes follow him as he strides towards the ship. Just as he is about walk up the ramp. He whips his head over his shoulder. Staring at me I hold his gaze when he finally turns back around walks up the ramp.
    I feel a hand clamp over my arms as Phasma says to me. "Make sure you find the base first." She let's go of my arm as I smirk knowing it won't be a problem.
    I crouch low to the ground and pick a handful of sand. Letting it run through my hand I notice the wind comes from behind me. I watch as the groups clear.
     I close my eyes racking through all the know rebel bases and trying to fit what one would look like here.
They either have a base carved into the natural rock structures. Or a cavern made from rock. Either way the base will be made with rock.
I open my eyes as I pick out rock structures to the right, in front and behind me.
At least I crossed off one way. If I was a rebel would I place the base down wind or up wind? Down wind would be the best option.
   I cross off searching in the direction behind me know that is up wind. Lastly I look up towards the sun I search for it but I can't seem to find it. So without knowing I lift the helmet off my head and drop it. Once the helmet is off I am exposed to the full heat and brightness of the setting sun. Shielding my eyes I observe the sun setting to the right of me. I smirk knowing I have found the direction the base will be. I am one step closer.
       I forget my helmet in my excitement as I begin to jog towards the setting sun. I replay my analysis of the why the base would be in this direction.
Yes. It makes sense that the base would be in the direction the sun sets to help the rebels find it if they get lost. The setting sun is the best compass when you don't have one.
  When I reach the rock structure I slow down and lighten up my steps. I reach behind me as I pull out both of the swords on my back. I creep over the rocks like a shadow. I search every inch of the cluster of rocks. Finding no evidence  of a cavern base. The rough rocks are not tall enough or thick enough to carve anything in to them.
    I stand in the tallest boulder. My hair blows in my face but I don't pay any attention to it. Cupping the top of my eyes I block the sun. My eyes search for any distinctions in the terrain that would give their base away.
    I scan as my eyes pick out little things no human could. I watch as a mouse like creature seeks up on a bug. The mouse is about to eat the bug but suddenly the bug turns around and eats the mouse. I stare shocked at the spot where the mouse just was. For some reason I can't look away as the brown bug scurries away. When suddenly it disappears.
Bugs don't just disappear. I think. I scan the area around where the bug disappeared. I try to find where it went when something clicks in my brain.
   I smile knowing I have found their base. 

VOTE AND COMMENT!!

VOTE AND COMMENT!!