Chapter 3

~Liam's POV~

I wince as Simon yells at me about the interview. "He has a concussion, I would suggest not yelling like that. It appears to be very painful." A nurse says, poking her head through the door and glaring at Simon before looking at me. Simon follows her gaze and finally sees that I'm clutching my pounding head.

"Sorry, Liam. Anyways, thanks to Zayn, everyone probably knows you're in the hospital, anyways." He says. I nod, putting my hands in my lap.

"I don't know what I did to my head, but I really screwed it up. I nearly fainted just standing up and walking three steps to get in this wheelchair." I say, gesturing to the metal chair I'm currently sitting in.

"I'm going to call management." Simon says, leaving the room.

After a moment of awkward silence, Harry speaks up. "At least you aren't in a hospital gown. That'd be uncomfortable for all of us." He comments, laughing. I nod, smiling, and Louis punches his shoulder lightly.

"We've seen you naked, Harry. I don't think Liam in a hospital gown would affect any of us that much." He retorts.

Harry scowls, and the rest of us laugh. I look at Amy, who looks incredibly confused, then Mandi, who looks partially horrified and partially- no, wait, I take that back, completely horrified. I can't help but laugh at her face, then Amy's when the situation is explained to her by Mandi.

Simon clears his throat, and I realize he came back in the room. "Liam, you're meeting with management in two weeks. You're released from the hospital in one, as is Amy. I've spoken to the orphanage, she is going to stay with you during the week before the meeting." He explains. Wow, Simon does not waste any time getting things done.

When I finish explaining everything to Amy, she pulls me into a hug, grinning. 'Thank you, Liam! Thank you!' She signs.

'Thank Simon, not me.' I tell her, smiling.

'You tell him. I can't exactly talk. But I'm trying to learn!' She signs excitedly. I turn to Simon.

"Amy says thanks." I say simply. Simon nods, and the nurse pokes her head back in.

"Mr. Payne, you need to get back to your bed. Everyone else, visiting hours are over. Thank you." She says, leaving once again. Simon says a quick farewell before leaving. Mandi signs to Amy while I talk to the lads.

"See you tomorrow, Liam!" Harry exclaims, walking toward the door.

"I'm gonna follow him, bye!" Louis says quickly, running after the curly-haired boy. Zayn waves and follows the two, and Niall pushes me over to my bed, helping my stand. My vision blurs, and I quickly sit on the bed, breathing heavily.

"You weren't kidding. You looked like you were about to pass out." He comments as my breathing slowly returns to normal.

"You think... I would... lie?" I say, taking deep breaths. Niall shakes his head.

"Nah, mate. I'm just worried about you. This looks really serious." He says worriedly. I shake my head.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry." I say, and Niall grins.

"I'm going to get some food now. See ya tomorrow!" He says loudly, but not quite yelling, and running out of the room. I smile, leaning back until my head hits a pillow. I close my eyes and I'm immediately fast asleep.

~•~•~•~•~

"Is he awake?"

"Is he even alive?"

"Why don't you slap him and let's see?"

I open my eyes at that, not wanting to get slapped. "See, I knew he wasn't dead!" Louis exclaims triumphantly.

I laugh, looking at the four weirdos I call my friends. "Let's not slap me, please? Probably wouldn't be good for my head." I say casually, watching their reactions. Niall simply holds up a familiar bag and grins.

"I brought Nando's!" He exclaims. I facepalm lightly, sighing.

"Of course you did. It's like ten in the morning, Niall! When did you get this?" I ask, trying not to laugh at my energetic friend. He frowns, running his free hand through his hair.

"About an hour ago?" He says softly. I laugh, reaching for the bag.

"Let me have something. I'm starved."

A bunch of talking and five full stomachs later, the food is completely gone, mostly thanks to Niall. "There are paps outside, and the hospital staff is getting kinda pissed." Harry comments, looking out my window.

"Well there's not much I can do about it, is there." I reply, following his gaze. From my position on the bed, all I see is the sky and the tops of a couple tall trees. "What floor are we on?" I question, looking at Zayn, who seems most likely to have actually paid attention.

"5th. This hospital is huge, you know." He says, looking at his phone.

"You better not be tweeting again. Look where it got us last time." Louis says, looking over Zayn's shoulder. "False alarm, he's playing Flappy Bird or something." Zayn sighs, annoyed.

"Flappy Golf. Not Flappy Bird. There's a difference." He says, glaring at Louis.

"Whatever. You're playing Flappy something, and you're addicted to it. Same thing."

I grin, and we all sit in silence for about 30 seconds before Louis groans. "How long until you get out of here, Liam? This hospital is boring." He whines, sounding like a little kid.

"I'm stuck here for a week, Louis. You better get used to it." I comments, smirking when he groans again. "Harry, hand me that remote so I can watch some telly." Harry looks hesitant, but he hands me the little box anyways. I immediately switch on the television and the news is on, the story is talking about some house fire or something. I'm about to change the channel when a reported says something that catches my attention.

"One Direction member Liam Payne landed himself in the hospital yesterday, and fellow band member Zayn Malik tweeted that he got a concussion. How he got the concussion and how severe it is is still a mystery, but what's happening in the room is not. Malik also mentioned a girl in Payne's hospital room that he's 'taken a bit of a shine to'. More on the story as we get more info. And now to the weather."

I glare at Zayn before turning to Harry. "So no one knows who Amy is?" I ask, smiling when all four boys nod. "Good. I don't think we should introduce her to the paps yet. Not until after the meeting with management." I say, relieved. A nurse walks into the room and smiles.

"Mr. Payne, we're going to do a couple of scans of your head to make sure the concussion isn't too serious, alright?" I nod, and Niall helps me stand. This time, though, I don't immediately collapse. I still get dizzy, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was yesterday. I smile, and the nurse takes the handles of the wheelchair, pushing me out of the room and down a hallway. "We need to make sure that you stay still for the scans, so I'm going to give you some anesthetic." The nurse says, placing a mask over my nose and mouth. I take a deep breath and immediately start feeling drowsy. The door opens and a doctor comes in, but I don't see his face before I fall asleep.