Chapter 9

~Liam's POV~

I barely register what Paul says, my mind still numb from the realization that I've been lied to for nearly half of my life, and Amy almost all of hers. My parents were murdered, and the person who killed them wants to kill me and Amy, and the rest of One Direction. But why? Why my friends? Why my sister? Why me?

Someone shakes my shoulder, and I look up, smiling a little. At least I can finally legally adopt my sister now. "Paul, I don't think Liam heard you." Niall says. Heard what? I look at Paul, who frowns.

"When Niall is released, so basically right now, since he's fine, we're sending you boys and Amy away. Into hiding. You will have a full team of security with you at all times, and no one will know where you are. That means no tweeting, twitcams, concerts, anything. You're being sent into hiding until further notice." Paul says. All of the boys look for my reaction, but I just nod, understanding completely.

"I know you wanted me to at least be surprised but I'm honestly not. I kinda knew this was coming, as soon as you told us about Greg's threat." I explain, looking at my hands. I can't believe this! I finally find my sister, and now she's in even more danger! Just because she's around me. I look back up at Paul, trying to be strong. "Why does he want me dead? Why did he kill my parents? What did I do to him?" I ask, my mind flashing to summer camp when I first learned that my parents were dead.

"We don't know, and that's why we have to keep all of you safe. We already know Greg isn't alone, because he said he had friends helping him himself." Paul says.

"No." I say firmly, causing everyone to look at me. "I'm the only reason he's a threat to any of you. If I'm not around you, none of you will be in danger." I look around, meeting the eyes of my friends.

"Liam, please-"

"Don't you understand?!" I interrupt Paul, not wanting him to change my mind. "If I wasn't here Niall would be perfectly fine, and Greg would probably be back in my hometown, trying to kill me. I bet the only reason Niall got stabbed in the first place is because he wanted me back, and Greg knew it would be easier if I wasn't with you." I say fiercely, glaring at Paul.

"Liam, listen." Paul says. I hesitate but nod. "If you weren't here, One Direction wouldn't exist. Greg wouldn't be in your hometown because you wouldn't be, either. You are right about why Niall was hurt, but if you weren't with One Direction then you wouldn't be anywhere. Face it, Liam. The only reason you aren't dead is because you're famous. You draw too much attention and your murder would get Greg caught. If you weren't in this band you would have died before you turned 18." I stare at Paul, but I'm not really looking at him. I'm more looking past him, zoning out and thinking about what he said.

If I wasn't here now, I would be dead. I would have been killed by Greg, before I even became an adult. But I wasn't, because I auditioned for the X-Factor when I was 14 because the only person in the orphanage who liked me told me I could sing.Simon told me to come back in two years, and I did, because I had nothing else to do. Then I got put in the group, and now, almost four years later, the only reason I'm still here is because of that first audition. Well then.

"Liam, we're going." Harry says, grabbing my arm. I stand, letting him lead me out of the room because honestly I'm still dazed. We go through some hallways and out a back entrance, straight into a nondescript black van. As soon as we're in, I look out the window and let my thoughts drift again. I'm not aware of the tears dripping down my face until I feel a little hand wiping them away. I turn to see Amy sitting beside me, tears in her own eyes. Without even thinking I pick her up, putting her into my lap. She hides her face in my chest and I hug her tightly, looking out the window again as my thoughts shift from Greg to my parents and my little sister.