Chapter 12

~Amy's POV~

I wake up to someone shaking me, and when I open my eyes Niall's face is inches from mine. He grins, saying something, and Liam's face appears next to his only a moment later. They both step back, and I sit up, yawning. Harry opens the window curtains and light comes in, hitting me in the face. I turn away, shading my eyes with my hands and glaring at Harry's back.

'Liam, why did he do that?' I sign, looking at my brother, who shrugs.

'We needed to wake you up, not blind you.' He signs, turning to Niall and saying something. Niall nods and walks out of the room, Harry behind him. 'Amy, Paul decided what we're doing about the tracker. Let's go downstairs so he can tell us.' Liam signs, walking toward the door. I stand, walking after him. We head for the stairs, and when we get down Paul and the rest of the guys are waiting. Paul says something to Liam, who nods, turning to me. 'I'm going to tell you what he says.' Liam signs, smiling. I nod, focusing on Liam's hands as Paul starts to talk.

'Greg knows that you are all here, and if we move Niall, Greg will follow us. The best course of action is to separate Niall from the rest of you, but he can't leave or Greg will know something is up. So everyone is leaving but Niall, who is going to stay here with a team of guards. The rest of us are moving to a different location, and if we can get the tracker out, Niall will join us. Understand?' Liam signs, nodding along with the other lads. Niall looks worried, but he smiles and nods anyways. Paul says one more thing, and Harry, Louis, and Zayn start up the stairs. 'We're going to go pack.' Liam says, and I turn to follow the others up the stairs, Liam behind me.

~Niall's POV~

"Niall, stay here while they pack. I need to talk to you." Paul says. Harry, Zayn, and Louis head for the stairs, and Liam explains what's happening to Amy and they both follow the others. I look at Paul, who sighs. "Niall, I'm really sorry about all this. I'm going to stay with the other lads, but you will have Preston and Ian, along with about ten other guards." He hesitates, taking a deep breath before continuing. "There's a very good chance that you are in serious danger staying here, Niall. Greg is dangerous, and he's coming after you. We're hoping that if you aren't with Liam, Greg will leave you alone, but we need to be prepared. Be ready to get in the shelter at a moment's notice." Paul says. I nod, smiling.

"It doesn't matter, Paul. It's better me than everyone, right?" I say, trying to be cheery. Paul shakes his head, sighing again.

"Our goal is to keep every single one of you safe, and this is really putting you in danger. Greg already stabbed you, you're an easy target for him, you are already injured and he can find you wherever you are. I really don't want to do this to you, but we have no other choice. There is a doctor coming with Preston and Ian who will try to get the tracker out of your arm. If he succeeds, you will join us immediately. If not, you may have to be separated from the others until Greg and anyone he works with is caught. I'm sorry, Niall." Paul sounds worried for me, and that's worrying. It's like he knows that something bad is going to happen. Before I can say anything, Harry and Louis come back down, carrying suitcases. They drop them next to the door and walk over, each hugging me separately.

"We'll miss you, buddy." Harry says, smiling. I nod, unable to say anything at the moment.

"You'll be with us before you know it." Louis says, trying to be encouraging. I force a smile and hug both boys tightly, knowing that they'll be safer if I'm not with them. Zayn comes down next, followed by Amy and Liam. Amy hugs me, smiling widely.

'I haven't known you long, but I'll still miss you. See you soon!' She signs, waving. I wave back, and Amy walks outside, followed by Paul. Zayn grabs my neck and hugs me, messing up my hair.

"I know it's for the best, but I still wish you could come with us." He says, Harry and Louis nodding their agreement. I nod as well, looking at Liam, who's hanging back. All four boys hug me together, and everyone but Liam leaves. I bet they planned this.

"Niall, I feel like I'm the only one that really knows how much danger you're in. I assume that's what Paul was talking about?" I nod mutely, watching Liam as his eyes flitter around uncomfortably. "You're risking your life for us, Niall, but mainly for me. Greg is after me and you're doing what you can to stop him. You're saving my life, whether you believe it or not, and I can't thank you enough for it. Just stay safe, okay? I would say I'll see you soon, but I feel like both of us know that it isn't that easy." I pull Liam into a one-armed hug, and when I pull away, he walks toward the door. Right before he reaches it, I finally find my words.

"Thank you, Liam. For being an amazing friend." I say, smiling. He turns back and grins, and I see a glint of tears in his eyes before he walks away, the door shutting behind him. I hear the boys and Amy walking away, their footsteps getting quieter and quieter until they disappear completely. And then I realize that I'm completely alone.

Preston and Ian should be here soon, so I decide I'll just go upstairs. I walk into the game room and turn on the laptop, seeing a message from Paul. 'Do a twitcam talking about the tracker and the fact that you're separated from the others, if Greg sees it he might not go after you. Don't say you're alone, if Preston and Ian aren't there, pretend they are, ~Paul' It says. I tweet that I'm doing a twitcam, then start it soon after, smiling at the camera.

"Hey, guys. Today it's just me. I guess we're going to update all of you like this, so if anyone asks anything, can you guys help them out?" I ask, and the chat floods with yesses and swears of allegiance. "So remember when Greg sliced up my arm?" I begin, looking at the sling. "Paul had a suspicion that he did it for a reason, and he was right. Greg put a tracker in my arm when he cut me, so he knows exactly where I am. We weren't sure what to do, but Paul decided that the safest route was to separate me from everyone else. So I'm still here, but Liam, Harry, Zayn, Louis, and Amy are somewhere else. Safer." I say, looking at the chat, which is going so fast that I can barely read anything before it's replaced by something else. Some people are angry, realizing that I'm in a lot of danger. Others are happy that everyone but me is safe, and some are even saying they're happy that I could die because they don't like me. My heart sinks at those comments, but I force myself to keep talking anyways. "I'm human, too, you know. I can't believe any of you would want me to die." I say simply, watching as the haters disappear and people who did nothing start apologizing. "There's a doctor coming who's going to try to take out the tracker, and if he does I'll join the others wherever they are." I hesitate, then say something I know needs to be said. "Guys, we're all in danger, but for most of us it's danger by association. Greg is targeting one person, one person he wants dead. Greg put the tracker in my arm because he knew I would be with my bandmates, and so I'd lead him right to the others. There's so much I want to say, but I have to keep it quick. Greg made a threat against us, saying that he wanted to kill everyone related to and associated with Lian Payne."

The chat explodes with worry for Liam, and I smile, stopping the twitcam. I hear the door downstairs open, and I freeze. "Niall? It's us." Preston's familiar voice floats up to me. I smile, walking downstairs to be greeted by Preston, Ian, and another man. "This is Dr. Mattheu, he's going to see about the tracker." Preston explains. I nod, and the doctor walks to the kitchen, gesturing for me to follow him.

"Niall, I'm going to put you to sleep and open up your arm to see where the tracker is. There are two possibilities. The tracker could just be embedded in your arm freely, which means I'll be able to take it out, or it could be attached to a vessel, muscle, or bone, which is much more complicated. If it is attached, I will most likely be unable to remove it. I will try, but it will probably be too dangerous to remove it." Dr. Mattheu explains. I nod just as Preston comes in.

"We've got a room down here that's basically a mini hospital, you can do the procedure there." He says. We have a little hospital?! The doctor nods, walking out of the kitchen and following Ian. "Come on, Niall." Preston says, and I realize that I was supposed to follow him. I walk out of the kitchen and down a back hallway, entering the room that the doctor and Ian went into. When I'm in the room, I stop and look around. Preston wasn't kidding when he said this was a mini hospital. There are machines I remember from my and Liam's stays, and a hospital bed that looks a lot like the one I was in before. On the other side of the room there's a table of equipment and an operating table. Preston takes me over to the table, and I lie down, staring at the ceiling. The doctor puts a mask over my mouth and nose and I take a breath, and the world darkens. Preston and Ian leave the room, and I close my eyes.