Chapter 32

~Liam's POV~

I step out of the car to be immediately bombarded by flashing lights and screams. I squint my eyes, trying to see in front of me, and someone puts their hand on my shoulder, guiding me in the general direction of the door. I'm wearing a snapback to try and hide the bandages, but I quickly realize how useless it is when someone knocks it off of my head. It's actually incredible how fast the paparazzi go silent and ow quickly the hat ends up back on my head and I'm forced even more quickly to the door. When we finally get inside I blink a few times until my vision comes back into focus. So Harry was the one helping me get to the door. That's useful information.

"You okay, Liam?" Niall asks, standing in front of me. I nod, looking around then reaching up and adjusting the snapback on my head since Harry just kinda shoved it on to cover the bandages.

"I'm... fine. It's just the... paparazzi we should... worry about. That... picture will be all over the... internet in... seconds, probably." I say, sighing when I finish because of my speech problem. I'm the one who has it and I still don't understand how it works, it just happens and it bugs me. Harry gives me a quick one-armed hug in reassurance then we all walk down the hallways, each of us getting pulled into separate dressing rooms.

I've been placed with Lou, probably because management thought that I'd be most comfortable talking around her than any of the other stylists. Well, I'm really not comfortable around anyone, so that's not helping. I sit in silence the entire time, letting Lou do her thing. The only time either of us speaks is when Lou tells me to move or do something for her. When I'm finished, I stand and hug Lou quickly, smiling.

"Good luck, Liam." Lou says, smiling as well.

"Thanks... Lou. I'm going to... need it." I say, walking out of the dressing room. I meet up with Louis, Harry, and Niall, and we all wait together for Zayn to come out. When he does, Louis teases him about how long his hair takes for a bit, then we all walk towards the stage, where a couple tech guys clip microphones to each of us and explain where to go and when and how. When they walk away we all continue to stand backstage and wait for Emma, that's what they said her name was, I think, to announce us.

"And the moment you've all been waiting for, here is One Direction!" Emma yells, and Harry walks out on stage, followed closely by Louis, then Zayn. Then it's my turn. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves a bit and walk out onto the small stage, soon finding myself sitting on an empty couch next to Niall, who was the last one out. Zayn, Louis, and Harry are on a separate couch, and the interviewer is on a chair facing all of us, as usual.

We all look at Emma, but her gaze is mainly focused on my, which I expected. "So, it's great to have you all here, especially Liam. How have you been doing the past couple of weeks?" She asks, turning the entire audiences focus on me. I gulp, looking at my friends, but there's nothing they can do. Why did you have to start with a question that only I can answer?

"I've been... better." I begin, swallowing nervously. Maybe my little 'problem' will be put down as nervousness for now? "It's not... fun getting... shot, but I'm... doing well." I say uncomfortably. Luckily Emma just nods, excusing my slow speech, although she'll surely bring it up later. Niall pats my back a bit, and I give him a small smile, still focusing on Emma.

"I know all of you have been having a couple interesting weeks. This picture has been all over the internet for the past few days, showing Louis and Liam looking out of a hospital window." Emma says, and we all turn to the screen behind us to see the pap's picture of Louis and I. "One thing that's very clear is the bandage Liam is wearing in the picture. I recall the story being that you were shot in the head, Liam?" She asks, again directing the question at me. Instead of answering, I just nod, trying to avoid embarrassing myself. Emma seems to be fine with my silent answer, but I know she's adding that to her suspicions. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something's wrong with me. "Where did the bullet hit? Anywhere dangerous?" She asks, and I smile a bit. This is a question someone else can answer.