Chapter 13

'Have I ever given you a reason not to trust me?'

It kept playing over and over in my head. Trust.

I do trust Katniss, with all my heart.

But what made me yell at her, and assume all these things.

Of course in the back if my head I still wasn't sure, if she was cheating on me.

Would she do that?

Would she?

No, she wouldn't, if she didn't love me, she'd leave.

Maybe I should give her a chance.

She said she'd wanted to surprise me.

Maybe it was a brilliant surprise that she didn't want to spoil.

That makes sense.

I got up of the large seat behind the chair at the office, lifted a loaf of bread from the shelf and walked slowly home, up the rarely used path to victors village, I unlocked the door, shuffling up the stairs. The was a note on the mirror in the bedroom.

It read:

Gone out hunting.

If for some reason you decide I'm not lying, I'll be at the lake. - Katniss

I ducked under the fence, making my way through the woods towards the lake as quick as I could, stumbling over fallen branches and tripping o few times. Finally -and in one piece- I reached the lake, I saw smoke coming from the chimney of the run down house beside it, katniss sat with her back to me watching the fire.

"Hi Peeta" she said

"Hey" I replied, "how did you know it was me?" I asked

"Heard you coming, no one else makes as much noise as you" she answered.

"Oh"

I walked over, sitting down slowly beside her, adjusting my prosthetic leg slightly before I spoke. "Katniss, I'm really sorry. I completely understand if you want to have some time to yourself, an I completely understand that what I said was wrong, I shouldn't have jumped to assumptions, I know you'd never do anything like that, I'm sorry, I love you"

Katniss didn't say anything for a moment.

"I just wanted to surprise you" she answered, obviously hurt. "I only lied about where I was, because if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise because you'd be able to guess it"

"I know that now, I'm really sorry" I said, grabbing her hand in both of mine, slowly rubbing heat into them. "You're cold" I whispered, adding more logs to the fire, and wrapping my jacket around her

"Thanks" she replied

"Do you want to go home?" I asked

"Sure" she replies, I grab her hand tightly.

"Do you forgive me?" I asked

She turned around, looking me straight in the eyes, grabbing both my hands, giving them a quick squeeze before pressing her lips to mine.

"I forgive you" she whispered

We'd literally just arrived home, and sat down, when curiosity got the better of me

"What was the surprise going to be?" I asked

She paused before answering, blushing a deep shade of pink first.

"Well the thing is. . . Okay, I'm just going to say it. . . Peeta, I'm pregnant, we're having a baby" she whispered

OH MY GOD

We're having a baby.

Katniss is pregnant, we're having a baby!